Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Book a Day

Books you can read in a day- Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/
I have been a teacher and a librarian.  I know that when you give assignments involving reading a book some kids want to be able to read it fast.  

Most of us aren't in school anymore, or we don't have to read a book for an assignment, but we still need books that can be read fast b/c we are all pressed for time.  Sometimes, you get snowed in, or it is ridiculously cold to go out and you want to read a book.  Sometimes, you just want and need a book you can read in a day.  Because let's be honest, it's always to fun to say you finished a book in a day or in (blank) hours.  

Granted, to be fair some people are faster readers than others.  I am a slow reader. However, reading a book in a day (or close to that) isn't about how fast you read or how many pages are in the book, but it's about your motivation to finish the story b/c it grabs you from the start.  Therefore, all of the books below I either finished in a day or soon there after b/c they had fabulous stories that grabbed me the entire time.

These are all great books! 

5 Great Books You Can Read in a Day

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry (Juvenile)
This classic book may be a juvenile (elementary school/middle school) book, but it is a great read for any age as well as for boys or girls.  If you haven't read this book in awhile go pick it up and read it in a day.  It's deep and thought provoking and all around a great book.  I enjoy it every time I read it... just like Harry Potter.  Some classics are always good no matter the number of times you read it.  

2. Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Wood (Young Adult)
This book isn't a typical book I'm drawn too, but it is clean, has a unique storyline, and keeps you completely entranced with the story.  I surprisingly loved this book, and recommend it to anyone.  A little romance, boarding school, and unexpected events make for a good story.  

3. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (Young Adult)
Annabelle is a character almost all girls can find a way to relate to and learn from; there is so much depth to her and to the story line that you don't initially anticipate.  This book is great; I like almost everything Dessen writes.  You could probably pick any Dessen book and read it in a day b/c it's that good.  Though, this one is one of my favorites.   

4. The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (Juvenile)
This book may be geared and written for elementary school aged kids, but I found it entertaining and worth my time as an adult.  It's a fun read, and I know any of the books in this series could be read in a day.  It's along the same lines as Diary of a Wimpy Kid; it's funny and fast and worth a few hours of your time to read.  Plus, you'll be able to talk with kids (boys and girls) about a book they may also know.    

5.  Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot (Young Adult)
I have read many Meg Cabot books in a day.  I remember starting several of them at night and reading until the early hours of the morning.  I'm a sucker for her realistic fiction writing style.  However, this book is a mystery novel and I really enjoyed it.  I laughed and found myself constantly guessing on who I thought the murderer was.  It's a great book. 

Bonus Books
I realize that many of the books above are mostly girl books and young adult.  I just gravitate towards them, and I'm all about being real here.  However, there are so many other books you can read in a day that are just as great.  The Maze Runner, Lawn Boy, Speak, and The Help are just a few of those "other great ones." 

What books have you read in a day?  What could I add to my list?   


No comments:

Post a Comment