Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda


Book review, for the Origami Yoda book.  Perfect for boys from 3-6th grade. http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger has been on my reading list for a few years now.  I would like to say that it's rare for books to stay on my reading list for that long, but some books do unfortunately.

There are too many books to read and not enough time when I am baking and raising two kids and trying to be active so I can eat what I bake.  There are too many things to do.

However, my kids gave me a most awesome Christmas present; no it wasn't a book though everyone in my family did get at least one book for Christmas.

On Christmas day they took a decent enough nap and played with all of their new toys for long enough for me to start and finish this book.  Sure, it's less than 150 pages and it is geared to for 3-6 graders, but it's still a book I read in one sitting.

To be able to read a book in one sitting it has to be interesting and a decent book.  I think for a chapter book geared to young readers this was a great read.  I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda is funny; it reminded me a lot of Diary of a Wimpy Kid but with a unique story line.  If your son, or daughter but it is geared more towards boys, is a fan of the Wimpy Kid books then give this series a try.  If your kid likes funny books, Star Wars, and fast easy reads then give this series a try.  If you just want a funny book to read to see what a Origami Yoda book is all about then give this a try.  It's funny.

Origami Yoda has a unique and interesting story line, once you get into it, the characters are relatable, and for the most part Angleberger did a great job telling the story.  The only reason this book lost half a star is b/c at times a scene was portrayed a bit quickly and it was confusing (I think that is new author writing), and I found myself struggling to get into the book at the beginning.  However, I am a tough grader.  This book is really good; it just wasn't a perfect 5 star book.  Those are rare.

Amazon had the following book review:
"For Tommy, the only question is whether or not Origami Yoda is real. Of course he's real as a small puppet on Dwight's finger. But does the oracle possess magic power? In order to find out, he decides to compile scientific evidence from the experiences of those who asked Origami Yoda for help. His friend Harvey is invited to comment on each story because he thinks Yoda is nothing but a "green paper wad." Tommy also comments because he's supposedly trying to solve the puzzle. In actuality, the story is about boys and girls in sixth grade trying to figure out how being social works. In fact, Tommy says, "…it's about this really cool girl, Sara, and whether or not I should risk making a fool of myself for her." The situations that Yoda has a hand in are pretty authentic, and the setting is broad enough to be any school. The plot is age-old but with the twist of being presented on crumpled pages with cartoon sketches, supposed hand printing, and varying typefaces. Kids should love it.—Sheila Fiscus, Our Lady of Peace School, Erie, PA" 
  
First four of the Origami Yoday series- http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/
Origami Yoda is a fun book.  The following book titles are hilarious and make my nerdy Star Wars side laugh every time I see or read the cover (maybe that is why I had to buy them).  The remaining books in the series are: Darth Paper Strikes Back, The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee, Art2-D2's Guide to Folding and Doodling, The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppet, and Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue.

This book is a perfect book if you need a light book to enjoy over the holiday or you are a Star Wars fan.  You'll enjoy them.

Plus, if you are third grade teacher, even fourth, this would be a fun class read-aloud.  Everyone would get into it (even you), enjoy the story, and you can discuss the technique Tommy is using to determine the validity of Origami Yoda.

Have you read the series?

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment