Monday, December 5, 2011

The Maze Runner

I recently finished reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner.  I had actually been wanting to read this book for over a year, but I never could get it from the library.  Finally, and I mean finally, my turn came up to check the book out from the library.  I was pretty excited.  If you like dystopian books like Hunger Games and Divergent than you will most likely enjoy The Maze Runner.  Plus, it is a trilogy for those of you series lovers.  

The only unfortunate part of my reading experience was that it took me a bit to get into, and it wasn't the books fault.  I got a little distracted with vacations and whatnot.  However, the library due date was coming closer and I suddenly had much more motivation to finish the book. I literally read the entire book in 24 hours.  It's actually an enjoyable read that is quite fast paced.  I would venture to say that it is a "fast read."

All in all, The Maze Runner is a good book.  It's pretty well written.  The story line is intriguing; you are quite a bit confused at the beginning b/c of the many unknown variables.  Thomas, the main character, is confused and you are confused right along with him.  Throughout the story I truly felt for Thomas and all of the successes and struggles he went through.  I think Dashner did a good job with characterization.  However, I was bit disappointed with the way the story ended.  I felt the climax ended a bit too early; I know Dashner was setting up the next story in the trilogy, but I didn't love how it was done.  However, the ending didn't ruin the book for me.  

School Library Journal gave this review on The Maze Runner:


"Grade 6–10—Thomas wakes up in an elevator, remembering nothing but his own name. He emerges into a world of about 60 teen boys who have learned to survive in a completely enclosed environment, subsisting on their own agriculture and supplies from below. A new boy arrives every 30 days. The original group has been in "the glade" for two years, trying to find a way to escape through a maze that surrounds their living space. They have begun to give up hope. Then a comatose girl arrives with a strange note, and their world begins to change. There are some great, fast-paced action scenes, particularly those involving the nightmarish Grievers who plague the boys. Thomas is a likable protagonist who uses the information available to him and his relationships (including his ties to the girl, Teresa) to lead the Gladers. Unfortunately, the question of whether the teens will escape the maze is answered 30 pages before the book ends, and the intervening chapter loses momentum. The epilogue, which would be deliciously creepy coming immediately after the plot resolves, fails to pack a punch as a result. That said, The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel."


The Maze Runner is a good read.  You'll enjoy it; I did.  The even more surprising thing for me was that near the end of the book I read the details on the author.  I came to realize that Dashner also wrote The 13th Reality.  I had read that book about a year and half ago, and I did not like it.  I thought the writing was poor and there were holes in the storyline among many other problems.  After realizing Dashner's other work I was even more surprised by how much better this story and writing was.  Dashner did a MUCH better job with the Maze Runner.  I recommend it.

Check it out, or getting on the super long waiting list, today!  Oh and for those interested, the following two books in the trilogy are as following The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure.

As always, share your thoughts of the book if you've read it or plan on reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment