Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm not a drinker, but I do love mint. In regards to celebrating the day, I'm sure mint is the equivalent to a Guinness I'm sure. ;)
I love mint chocolate chip ice cream. Mint and chocolate is my second favorite combo (only peanut butter and chocolate beat it out). It's just delicious.
I love mint and have a few other mint cookies. These Andes Mint cookies are delicious, and these Double Chocolate Mint M&M cookies are scrumptious as well.
However, I was lacking a GREEN mint cookie, and felt this Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie was just the recipe I needed to share with you on St. Patrick's Day! It's green. It's mint. It's delicious.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from TheFoodCharlatan
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time; 2.5 hours
Servings: 22 large cookies
1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk, large
1 tsp peppermint extract
10 drops of green food coloring
3 c. and 2 Tbsp flour (3 cups for flatter cookies)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag (11 oz) dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs, yolk, peppermint, and food coloring to the to the bowl mixing after each addition.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients, except the chocolate chips, to the bowl in the order listed. Mix the dough until it is just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips to the dough until just combined.
- Using the large cookie scoop (or about 1 1/2 Tbsp) to scoop the dough into balls and place them all on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat map. Let the dough freeze for 30 minutes and then place all of the dough in a labeled sealed airtight bag. The cookies can stay in this sealed bag in your freezer for a couple months.
- When ready to cook the cookies, add 6-8 dough balls to a parchment paper or a baking mat pan. Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for approximately 8 to 10 minutes until they are no longer shiny.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes or so.
- Enjoy the cookies warm with milk, or just enjoy them!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter.
Happy Green wearing St. Patrick's Day fun!