In January my doctor informed me that I needed to go strictly gluten free. It is inconvenient at times, especially when traveling. However, to be honest it has been a good challenge. I have to learn how to easily make my family's favorites gluten free. I eat a lot of veggies and green smoothies. I've mastered this GF Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, and now I have delicious Mac and Cheese comfort food. I can totally do this, and you can go GF too if you have to.
My kiddos, like 99% of the kids in this world (clearly that statistic is completely made up), love Macaroni and Cheese. I also haven't met an adult who doesn't love a good homemade Mac and Cheese dish.
This Baked 3 Cheese Mac and Cheese is Gluten Free using normal (no gluten free flour used) ingredients, and it is oh so delicious. Delicious to kids, yet equally pleasing to grown-ups. Win-win!
If you have a gluten free friend, give this homemade comfort food recipe a go. You all will love it!
Baked 3 Cheese Mac and Cheese- Gluten Free
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 20 minutes
Servings: about 8
1 pkg (8oz) quinoa pasta
4 Tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. onion, diced
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. white cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c. crushed Rice Chex.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and pull out a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a medium pot cook the quinoa pasta according to the directions on the box. I prefer quinoa pasta over corn, rice, or bean pasta for my gluten free option. You can find this quinoa pasta at any grocery store. Cook the pasta, rinse and drain it, and pour it into the baking dish you have set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat melt the butter with the garlic and onion.
- When the butter is melted at the spices and stir for 30 seconds or just until flavorful.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of milk and bring the milk to a boil. Simmer it for 3-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir the remaining half a cup of milk and the cornstarch together. Add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir it in. Stir the sauce for 8-10 minutes letting it simmer and thicken.
- When sauce is thickened turn off the heat, add the cheese to the pan, and stir until the cheese is melted and combined.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir to combine everything.
- Evenly top the mac and cheese casserole with hand crushed Rice Chex.
- Bake the mac and cheese at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Happy Easily Gluten Free Baked 3 Cheese Mac and Cheese Eating!