Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Rose Society gets 4 Stars (Young Elites #2} {YA} {Series}

The Rose Society aka book 2 in the Young Elites series by Marie Lu gets 4 out of 5 stars in my book review.  Dark fantasy story full of action, and surprisingly the main character is an anti-hero which is rare.  A high school student could use that topic to write a paper.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ fantasy, action, clean reads, violence, no language, no sex, high school, teen reads, quick read, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grade, books for boys,

The Rose Society by Marie Lu is the second book in the Young Elites series.  This series is full of action and has a slight love/romance to it just like the Legend series

I give The Rose Society 4 out of 5 Stars.  It's a good book and an entertaining series, but I do not like it as much as Lu's last series.  The character development of Adelina, the main character, is well written; it really is quite impressive that Lu is able to have an anti-hero as the main character and some people actually like her.

I know some people actually like Adelina.  She's powerful and ambitious, but to me she is a little annoying.  I don't like how hung up on power and revenge she is to the point of treating, even her sister whom she loves, so poorly.  As a redeeming quality, Adelina is finally realizing that even though she may be getting the revenge and power she thinks she wants she is at least realizing that being alone with her accomplishments isn't all that great.  

I do like this book, but there is too much darkness in it for me. The story is dark and full of action and violence, but besides the action/violence it is a clean story.  

This Young Adult/Teen read is a great story for boys and girls alike in ninth grade or above.  However, younger students/readers that don't mind the action and darkness will be fine reading this series.  


This book lost a star in my book review b/c there were aspects in the story I didn't love. I didn't love how dark the story was, and I didn't love how cruel, and somewhat evil, Adelina, the main character, was.  The love story, well love stories, was okay.  I liked one of them, and the other one just made me mad.    

All in all, I am glad I read the book.  However, I have learned that I do have a darkness limit, and to be honest I'm not sure I can handle the third book.  Though, I'm sure I'll read it b/c I'm a sucker for a series.  


Amazon had the following book review to give you a little more detail into the storyline.  

"Once upon a time, a girl had a father, a prince, a society of friends. Then they betrayed her, so she destroyed them all." Lu's epic series takes a dark, gritty turn with her latest offering. Adelina, known as the White Wolf, has fled Kenettra with Violetta, her sister, in order to recruit other malfettos (superpowered humans) for revenge upon the Inquisition—the faction that killed her love Enzo and countless other malfettos. Turned out and betrayed by her former comrades, the Daggers, Adelina is determined to form her own army, especially once she stumbles upon the near-mythical malfetto named Magiano. As the leader of the Inquisition, Teren, continues to search for Adelina so he can destroy her, she turns toward a more somber facet of her energy. Her path explodes into a dizzying array of power, murder, and revenge, leaving Adelina to question her true nature. When a malfetto queen conspires to raise Enzo from the dead, Adelina must face, once and for all, her feelings and her desires for power. What sets this novel apart is Adelina's slow spiral into bleak, joyless corruption; Lu doesn't wrap up the narrative with a shiny bow. Teens will be fascinated to watch the main character descend into villainy and revel in it. VERDICT Fans of Sarah Maas's Throne of Glass (Bloomsbury, 2012) and Sabaa Tahir's An Ember in the Ashes (Penguin, 2015) will enjoy the author's latest."

How are you with Dark stories?

Happy Dark Fantasy and Action YA Reading!  

What are you reading?


No comments:

Post a Comment