Monday, November 30, 2015

The Young Elites gets 4 Stars {YA Fantasy} {Series}


I recently finished The Young Elites by Marie Lu; she also wrote the Legend series that I reviewed here.  I really like the Legend  series, and think it is a fantastic dystopian trilogy.  I liked The Young Elites, but I still think Legend,  a completely different type of story, is better.  

I give The Young Elites 4 out of 5 Stars. This YA (Young Adult) book aka teen read is in the fantasy genre b/c there is magic involved.  However, it isn't high fantasy, like Lord of the Rings or The Three Kings kind of fantasy books.  This book has magic, or more so the power of the Gods given to a select number of individuals that were infected with a disease.  I personally found it to be an interesting concept.   

I personally think this book is best for boys and girls alike in the 9th grade and up.  This book is a clean read, with no swearing or bad language that I can recall and only a handful of instances involved kissing, but it is a dark story and there is definitely violence with quite a bit of fighting and even killing.  Adelina, the main character, is quite conflicted but also quite dark.  She thrives and flourishes off the fear of others.  I think the darkness of the book and the complexity of the storyline makes it more well suited for the older audience.

Overall, the story was really good, but the ending was fantastic.  The ending was very well written, however, the middle of the story dragged slightly, was choppy, and overall I was a little unsure what was going on.  Even the major battle with Teren, a major point in the story, was confusing.  I realize battles are difficult to write b/c there is usually so much going on; both the Hunger Games, Mockingjay especially was hard for this reason, and Divergent series all had battle scenes that were confusing for the exact same reasons.

I do think Lu did a great job keeping the story unpredictable with an interesting storyline; I also think her character development was well done.  Though, Adelina was a complex and confused girl.  Her complexity of emotions, dark but also wanting to be honest and pure, was confusing.  Adelina was well written, but at times her character confusion was confusing to me as the reader.  I realize that Adelina is a teenage girl with a lot of confusion on love and who she is, but I feel that confusion could've been written in a way to not confuse the reader to the same extent of Adelina's confusion.  Overall I did grow to mostly understand Adelina; I may not have agreed with her choices, but I did want her to succeed and figure herself, emotions, and powers out.  

I did state it before, but I want to say again that the ending of The Young Elites was fantastic.  The ending of Young Elites may be the best ending I've read in awhile.  It definitely sets the story up for the sequel, Rose Society, and leaves the reader wanting to read more.  However, it isn't a cliff hanger which I hate when authors do that b/c I think it portrays poor writing and laziness. 

Amazon had the following book review from School Library Journal

"A rollicking series opener from the author of the "Legend" series (Putnam). Imagine surviving a plague of fever, only to be marked as an abomination by your countrymen. Most survivors of the sickness that vanquished thousands in this alternative medieval world possess a strange and unique marking, whether it be a facial coloring, oddly tinged hair, or, in Adelina's case, a missing eye. Called malfettos, some are endowed with magical gifts that enable them to control wind, fire, earth, and even humans. All Adelina has ever wanted is to feel accepted and loved, but she's ignored by her father, and her sister doesn't have the power to save her. When the teen escapes an unwanted proposal, she unwittingly becomes a member of the Dagger Society, an Elite group of malfettos bent on using their supernatural abilities to escape the Inquisition's genocide and place their leader, Enzo, on the throne of Kenettra. Adelina struggles with an increasing distrust of Enzo, her fellow Elites, and herself, all while learning how to control her powers of illusion and disillusion. Lu seamlessly melds an unforgettable and intoxicating historical fantasy narrative with a strong female protagonist that grapples with an issue experienced by all young adults—acceptance of one's self. Well written, fast paced without being confusing, and enjoyable enough for teens, reluctant readers, and even adults. Brimming with engaging battles—physical and emotional—and meticulous backdrops, Lu's new series will be a surefire hit with old and new fans alike."

Are you a Lu fan?  

Happy Action Packed Fantasy Reading! 






*******SPOILER ALERT*******






I will say that I did not see Enzo's death coming at all.  It completely surprised me, and actually made me a little sad for him.  

I also did not anticipate Raphael kicking her out of the Daggers.  He seemed far more compassionate to me at the beginning that his bluntness and action at the end surprised me.  I understand why he did it, but it still made me sad.  I personally think the reason for kicking her out, b/c she's more powerful than she knows and her powers and abilities are overwhelming and terrifying to others.  i feel he would rather have, or should have her stay in the group to keep her on their side rather than fighting against her.  

Have you read this book?  What did you think?  


Click here for the review of Book 2 of the Young Elites Series: The Rose Society 

No comments:

Post a Comment