Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Cornbread Waffles {Easy}

Cornbread Waffles…Delicious waffles with a skillet cornbread taste.  Easy and quick to make.  These are perfectly acceptable for breakfast with sugar, butter, and syrup, or savory enough for dinner with chili on top.  For extra protein and to really make it one amazing meal add a fried egg on top.  So yummy!  http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ recipe, fast, simple, simple, good, quick bread,

I had a co-worker tell me that anytime she and her husband go to a party where chili will be served they bring their waffle iron to make Cornbread Waffles.  

I had never thought of such deliciousness, but that night after work I made Skillet Chili and quickly made some Cornbread waffles to go with it.  B/c my life is so awesome I have the opportunity to hold my 15 month old while cooking.  It makes things really easy and convenient. ;)  Though, I am sure one day i'll miss not being able to hold a baby. Now, if I can make this dinner in under an hour, basically one handed, then you can totally whip this up any day of the week including weeknights.  

The awesomeness of Cornbread Waffles is that it gives the cornbread a slight skillet taste when cooked a little longer in the waffle iron.  I love the skillet slight crunch under chili and when you add a fried egg on top of it all you really get a wow.  However, the deliciousness of Cornbread Waffles doesn't end there.  You can enjoy these waffles with butter and syrup for breakfast, too.  The versatility is fantastic.  

Of course, I'll still make my Light Buttermilk Waffles and my Awesome Cornbread, but it is fun to have variety.  I'm a fan of Cornbread Waffles.  


Cornbread Waffles

Recipe: Alohamora 
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes
Servings: About 12 (4 inch) waffles   

Ingredients: 
1/2 c. cornmeal
1 1/2 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c. oil (I prefer sunflower oil)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. buttermilk
Optional Toppings: butter, maple syrup, chili, fried egg, etc.

Directions: 

  1. Preheat your waffle iron and have olive oil or cooking spray near by. 
  2. In a medium bowl mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together with a fork, whisk, or spoon.  
  3. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.  
  4. Add the oil, butter, eggs, milk, and buttermilk into the center of the well. 
  5. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until they are combined well.  The batter may be a little runny, but don't you worry about that.  Trust the recipe.  
  6. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter (or whatever amount works best for your waffle iron) into the heated waffle iron. 
  7. Cook your waffles one at a time to your desired doneness.  I like it a little darker for the skillet cornbread flavor, but my husband likes a lighter cornbread waffle.  Use a fork or whichever tool you desire to remove the waffle from the iron and repeat until the batter is gone.  
  8. Enjoy your waffles warm with butter, plain, under chili, with a fried egg, or topped with syrup. It's delicious whichever way you choose.  Just enjoy it!
  9. Store leftover cornbread waffles in a ziploc bag in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. 

Happy Cornbread Waffles eating! 


No comments:

Post a Comment