When I shared my Thick Texas Sheet Cake recipe a couple of weeks ago I told you I had Texas roots.
I also told you I had a Texas Waffle Iron. A friend on Facebook had asked at that time what a Texas Waffle Iron was. She had thought it was a type of waffle iron, but let me clarify here with this picture. My Texas Waffle Iron is an awesome normal waffle iron that makes waffles in the shape of Texas. Awesome, right?
I actually had several individuals in college that were from Texas who tried to buy the waffle iron from me, and they were offering some steep amounts, However, no price was worth the loss of this Texas pride in waffle form.
Now, if you are wanting a Texas Waffle Iron, check this one out on Amazon. It may not have the awesome star in the middle like mine, but it does make waffles in the shape of Texas which is fabulous.
Let's move past my sweet waffle iron and talk about these Light Buttermilk Waffles.
This waffle recipe is so light and fluffy with some amazing flavor. Plus, you don't have to use buttermilk. However, if you use just regular milk you will have to work a little harder at your egg whites to get the same light and fluffy waffles. The buttermilk not only helps with the flavor of these waffles, but it also helps lighten them. Plus, here's another recipe to help you use up the buttermilk in your fridge.
Before we got married my husband had never had waffles from scratch. He had only had pancakes and waffles from Bisquick or other types of mix. However, he has since been converted to scratch breakfast goodness.
Pancakes and waffles from scratch are easy to make, no mix is needed, and they taste SOOOO much better. Try these from scratch light buttermilk waffles out. You'll be converted to scratch cooking as well.
With awesome buttermilk syrup from yesterday and these amazing buttermilk waffles today you are set to have some fabulous breakfasts or breakfast for dinners (BFD as we like to call it).
Light Buttermilk Waffles
Active Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 10-12 waffles
1 3/4 c. flour, all purpose
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 egg yolks
1/3 c. oil (vegetable or canola)
1 1/4 c. milk (if you are doing just milk use 1 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. buttermilk
3 egg whites, beaten
- Turn on your waffle iron so it has time to heat up.
- In a medium mixing bowl add your first 4 ingredients, the dry ingredients, and stir with a fork to mix well.
- Form a well in the middle of your dry ingredients and add your egg yolks, oil, milk, and buttermilk. Stir everything until it is well combined.
- Finally, fold in or gently stir your beaten egg whites until everything is just combined.
- At this point you are ready to cook your waffles. I spray my waffle iron with an olive oil spray, but you will want to spray it with something or add butter so your waffles do not stick. Waffles stuck to your waffle iron is pretty much the worst thing ever.
- Pour a rounded 1/4 measuring cup of batter onto the waffle iron. If you have a larger waffle iron you may need to use 1/3 cup.
- Cook waffles until desired crispiness and remove with a fork.
Happy light and fluffy buttermilk waffles eating! A good breakfast can happen at home anytime!