Many moons ago my sister was asking for side dish ideas. I didn't have much to give her.
To be honest, I rarely ever think of side dishes besides veggies, fruit, and maybe bread. However, now that I have to eat more gluten free I am needing to go beyond bread for a grain side dish.
Quinoa really is easy to make even though it may seem a bit intimidating. I think it only seems intimidating to some b/c it's something new and we don't have a lot of experience with it.
I like quinoa, and I've used it in several salads and other casserole dishes like this chicken broccoli quinoa casserole or this cock-pot quinoa enchilada bake.
However, my husband is not a fan of just plain quinoa as a side dish. He thinks it's too grainy and hard to eat. Therefore, I added some rich flavor and made it creamy and cheesy to please everyone. This Creamy Quinoa side dish is the winner for any meal.
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
1/2 c. quinoa
3/4 c. water or vegetable broth
1 clove, garlic minced
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese (mozzarella would make it more cheesy)
- Place the quinoa in a small pan and fill it with water.
- Rinse the quinoa like you rinse rice. Drain the water, and then fill, rinse, and drain again. You can also use a fine mesh strainer if you desire. However, if you use a strainer rather than draining in the pan use almost 1 cup of water instead of 3/4 cup.
- Add the first four ingredients to a small pan/pot and cook it on high.
- Bring the pan to boil. Then place the lid on (or mostly on) and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the quinoa until all the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. It should take about 10-15 minutes.
- When quinoa is cooked stir in the cheese.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
Happy Healthy Creamy and Cheesy Quinoa eating!