I've been all about the slow-cooker lately. I'm not sure if it is the three young kids or the many sewing, craft, DIY, and recipes I've been working on, but I'm feeling pressed for time.
With all of the things on my "Want To Do" list I'm needing to make easy and quick dinners.
Healthy is something I always strive to do, but the easy and quick factors are added bonuses with this meal.
This Chicken and Quinoa Enchilada Bake in the crock-pot is delicious, and cooks a huge amount. We've been enjoying it for dinner and lunch for quite a few days now, and each time my husband comments on how much he enjoys this meal. What's really impressive is the 4th or 5th time we've ate this for a meal my husband still comments that he really likes it. Awesome!
You should whip this up tonight for dinner... or soon!
Chicken and Quinoa Enchilada Bake
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: about 3 hours
Servings: 6-8 servings
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 c. red onion, diced
1 1/2 c. red bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. dry quinoa
2 1/4 c. broth, vegetable or chicken
2 c. cooked chicken, chopped (I use rotisserie chicken)
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (4oz) diced green chilies
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. frozen corn (can corn will work too)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
Serve with tortilla chips.
Toppings (optional): green onion, avocados, cilantro, plain greek yogurt/sour cream
- In a small skillet/pan over medium-high heat saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until the vegetables are soft.
- Pour vegetables in your crock-pot/slow-cooker.
- Add the quinoa, broth, chicken, canned tomatoes, green chilies, tomato sauce, black beans, pinto beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to the crock-pot and stir to combine everything.
- Cover and cook everything in the crock-pot for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on High or until the quinoa has expanded and cooked thoroughly.
- When cooked add the cheese and stir to combine everything until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with chips and the desired toppings.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Happy healthy slow-cooker/crock-pot Chicken and Quinoa Enchilada Bake eating!