Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Secretly Skinny Cheesy Potato Soup


Secretly Skinny Cheesy Potato Soup.  Secret family recipe skinnified using cauliflower in this cheesy goodness of potato soup.  It's absolutely delicious and perfect dinner for a quick night.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

When I was in college we had a "Dinner Group."  This idea was, and still is I believe, pretty much the greatest thing ever for a college student.  The group consisted of 8 people and each person made dinner once every 2 weeks for everyone in the group.  Basically, you make dinner twice a month and you have a home cooked meal every Monday through Thursday evening.  Jackpot!  

Because I was part of a "Dinner Group" I ate better, healthier, was introduced to new recipes, actually cooked (b/c cooking for one is not fun) a complete meal, and my grocery bill was cheaper.  All in all, it was a win win situation.  

I had a friend in one of my Dinner Groups make the most amazing and delicious Potato Soup ever.  It was seriously amazing, and I begged him for the recipe.  He told me "No" and blankly stated it was a secret family recipe.  

I was bummed he wouldn't give me the recipe, but I didn't give up.  I kept asking him for the recipe and eventually wore him down about a year later..  However, I did have to bribe him somewhat.  He needed to use our computer and we "needed" his recipe.  I felt it was a win win for both of us.  

Ever since the first time I had this amazing Cheesy Potato Soup I have loved it, and I'm pretty sure you will too.  

However, since my college days I have tried to eat a little healthier.  Therefore, I decided I'd make a Skinnier Cheesy Potato Soup, and I'm extremely happy with it.  My kids (who requested it for lunch and dinner the next several days) loved it and I loved it.  Win-win again! 

The flavor of the soup is still the same as the good ole' college days, but it's just a tad bit healthier.

Secret Skinny Cheesy Potato Soup
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from Matt C. 
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 0 
Servings: 6-8 people

Ingredients: 
2-3 russet potatoes, pealed and diced
1/3 c. onion, diced
(You can use 1 (20oz) pkg Simply Potatoes Diced with Onion in replace of the above two items)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. carrots, shredded
1 medium cauliflower head, chopped
4 tsp chicken bouillon (or 2 cubes)
1 (8oz) box cream cheese
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions: 
  1. In a large pot or stock-pot add your potatoes, onion, garlic, and carrots.  If you want to save time peeling and dicing potatoes use one Simply Potatoes Diced package.  It's convenient and doesn't change the taste.
  2. Cover the potatoes, onion, garlic and carrots with just enough water.
  3. Cook on medium to high until the potatoes are tender; it should take 3-5 minutes. 
  4. To blanch your cauliflower place it in a glass microwaveable bowl.  Add a couple teaspoons of water, cover the bowl with saran wrap, and microwave on high for 3 minutes.  
  5. Add the cauliflower to the soup pot. 
  6. Add the chicken bouillon to the pot. 
  7. Using an immersion blender puree your potato soup until you reach your desired consistency.  You can also transfer the soup to a blender, place the blender lid on but remove the stopper in the lid so the heat can escape, cover the opening with a few paper towels and blend.  Return soup back to the pot if you used a blender.
  8. Add the cheese, cream cheese and shredded cheese, to the soup and stir until it is melted.
  9. Enjoy your soup warm and/or hot!
  10. Store leftover soup in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.   


Happy Skinny Cheesy Potato Soup eating! 


No comments:

Post a Comment