Friday, January 16, 2015

The 14 Best, aka My Favorite, Newbery Award Books

The 14 Best Newbery Award Books.  These books make great read alouds for a parent or classroom teacher.  These books are great for reluctant readers.  Non-fiction, historical fictions, realistic fictions, humor, fantasy, and science fiction.  All amazing books that everyone should have in their library. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Every year at the ALA (American Library Association) Midwinter Meeting they announce the Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, and Corretta Scott King Awards.  

This year the announcement will come Monday February 2nd.  That is the day after the Superbowl, which is fun.  However, I honestly think I am more excited for the announcement of the Award Books.

I'm completely aware that being this excited for a book announcement is nerdy, but I am a librarian so... I'm pretty much a nerd.  After many years I've come to accept that nerdiness.  

Every year I get excited to see who won and for what books, and then I get super excited to check the books out from the library.  

I don't always love the Award Books, but there is usually one book that I adore.  On good years, like last year, I have found myself enjoying 3 or more books from the Newbery list.  

Today, I'm going to share with you The Very Best Newbery Books aka My Favorite Newbery Books.  

The Newbery Award began in 1922 and it has been going ever since.  There is always a book that receives the Newbery Medal Winner, and there are usually 2-4 Honor books.  I like to think of Honor books as runner-ups aka really good books as well and worth a read.   


I promise, the 14 books below are the very best Newbery Award books, and they are 14 books every library (home or school) should have.

If you haven't read these books, or even if it's been awhile, give them a read.  You will love it! 



 The Very Best, and My Favorite, Newbery Award Books


Medal Winner in 2014
Best for 2nd-5th grade. 
This would make a great read aloud for 1st-3rd grade. 


Medal Winner 2011
Best for 3rd-8th grade.
This would make a great read aloud for 3-6th grade.  


Honor in 2005
Best for 4th-8th grade. 
This is a great read aloud for 4th and up. 


Medal Winner in 1999
Best for 3rd-8th grade. 
This is a great read aloud for 3rd grade and up. 
The Holes movie is one of the best book adaptation movies.  


Medal Winner in 1998
Best for 3rd-8th grade. 
This is a great historical fiction read aloud for 3rd grade-5th grade. 


Honor in 1998
Best for 3rd-8th grade. 
This would make a great read aloud for 3rd-5th grade, maybe 2nd.


Medal Winner in 1995
Best for 3rd-7th grade. 
This would be a great read aloud, especially for parent/daughter, in 3rd or 4th grade.  


Medal Winner in 1994
Best for 6th grade and up. 
This would make a great read aloud for 5th or 6th grade. 


Medal Winner 1988
Awesome Non-Fiction
Best for 4th-8th grade. 
A high reading 3rd grader would be fine with the content.  


Medal Winner in 1973
Best for 6th grade and up.  
A great read aloud for 5th-7th grade.


Medal Winner in 1968
Best for 3rd through 7th grade
A great read aloud for 3rd grade, or even 2nd possibly. 



Medal Winner in 1963
Best for 5th-9th grade
A great read aloud for 4th grade and up; there are some difficult concepts to comprehend.


Honor in 1953
Best for 2nd-6th grade
A great read aloud as young as Kindergarten


Honor in 1939
Best for 2nd-7th grade.
A great read aloud for as young as Kindergarten.

Happy Newbery Award Book reading!


3 comments:

  1. I have read 10/14 of these great books. I tried wrinkle but got bored. :) I want to get that Lincoln book for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome Amanda! Wrinkly was weird (it is one of the first sci/fi type books) but it is really good as well. Though, I totally get where you are coming from. Your kids would LOVE the Lincoln Photobiography, and you'd enjoy it too. It really is a fabulous book and a great one for your library!

      Delete