Since I'm gaining all of this weight for this little baby in my tummy (who should be making an appearance any day now) I am all about trying to make things as healthy as possible. I mean, I'm of the opinion that there is no need gaining un-necessary weight.
Besides being somewhat healthy and balancing all the treats I like to bake, I really love spaghetti squash. It's healthy, delicious, and you can use it in place of pasta for so many dishes. I make this Squash and Cheese in place of Mac and Cheese often.
With squash on sale right now we've been making a lot of squash dishes. However, I've made this Spicy Sausage Spaghetti Squash Bake more than any other squash dish as of late, and every single time I make it my husband is practically giddy. Even my father-in-law was stating that he didn't know spaghetti squash could taste so delicious as he happily had seconds.
I guarantee that every man and kid will love this dish; there's sausage in it (I use turkey sausage b/c I'm all about the healthier options), cheese, and amazing flavor. I also guarantee everyone will appreciate/love how healthy, diet friendly, and lite this dish is.
This casserole is pretty much the best thing you'll have on the menu all week. Guaranteed!
Spicy Sausage Spaghetti Squash Bake
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from Kevin&Amanda
Active TIme: 45 mins
Inactive Time: 45 mins
1 medium spaghetti squash
2 tsp olive oil
1 pkg (13-14 oz) turkey polska/Polish sausage, or pre-cooked sausage of choice, sliced
1 c. onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. chicken broth
1 can (10 oz) Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chiles, Mild
1/4 c. half and half (you can try milk for a lighter version)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Prepare and cook your spaghetti squash at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until it is soft. For help on how to prepare a spaghetti squash check here. You can also cook the squash ahead of time as well.
- While your squash is cooking dice your onion and slice your sausage into 1/4 inch slices.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet/pan over medium to high heat.
- Add your sausage and onions to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until the onions are translucent and the sausage is lightly browned.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, half-and-half, salt, and pepper to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- While your pan is simmering, if your squash is done, scrape out the squash with a fork and place the cooked spaghetti squash in a 2 quart oven-safe casserole dish.
- Remove the pan from the stove and stir in 1 cup of cheese until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the sausage mixture over the spaghetti squash and stir to combine everything well.
- Top the squash casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and sprinkle the scallions/green onions on top.
- Place your sausage spaghetti squash bake in the oven and broil the cheese until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and spotted brown. If you made your spaghetti squash earlier, and it is not hot, bake your casserole at 350 for approximately 20 minutes.
- Enjoy your healthy deliciousness hot/warm from the oven!
- Store leftovers in the fridge, and heat leftovers in the in microwave.