Thursday, January 2, 2014

Healthy Spaghetti Squash

Happy 2014!  The new year always brings about change... at least for a bit.  I always strive to wake up earlier, work out harder, read more, and even lose a few pounds/trim and tone up.

 I think the overload of sweets and indulgent food the past few months also makes me want to eat healthier at the beginning of the year; though I still bake sweets b/c I have an addiction to baking sweets.  Darn addiction.

With the healthy in mind, and b/c I have come across several friends that do not know the joy and deliciousness of Spaghetti Squash, I am going to teach you the easy, short, and sweet way to cook Spaghetti Squash.
Heathy Spaghetti Squash, Gluten Free, Spaghetti noodle alternative- Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Spaghetti Squash is awesome.  It's delicious, healthy, and you feel good after eating it.  I either top it with a little butter and serve as a side, or I make it a full on meal and make a delicious (full of veggies, and meat of some kind to please my husband) spaghetti sauce.

We like to replace spaghetti noodles with spaghetti squash.  I converted my husband to the joys of spaghetti squash right after we were married, and he hasn't wanted to go back to noodles since.  My toddlers happily eat it, and I even converted my cousin, who doesn't like vegetables at all, to enjoy spaghetti squash and even buy some herself. Miracles do happen. 

After a friend or family member has spaghetti squash with us I normally get a text a bit later asking details on how they can make it themselves.  Therefore, I am sharing those details with you so you can start your new year a little healthier and feeling better.  With Spaghetti Squash you won't have the heavy bloated feeling like after eating pasta.

However, before you cook spaghetti squash you have to buy it.  Just in case you are unsure, to select a good squash make sure it doesn't feel soft and you don't seen any mold or unsightly marks on it.  Most squashes are pretty good and easy to pick out.  It's hard to go wrong with squash, but I just want to be thorough.  :)

Now for the best part.  The 5 easy steps to cooking spaghetti squash
Heathy Spaghetti Squash, Gluten Free, Spaghetti noodle alternative- Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/
 1- Cut the spaghetti squash in half length ways.  If you remember school cut it like a hotdog not a hamburger.

2- Clean the seeds you see in the middle.  I just use a spoon and scoop out the gunk until it looks clean and like the picture above.

3- Stab the outside of the squash.  Lay the spaghetti squash with the cut/open side face down on a pan lined with aluminum foil (to help your clean up).  Use the same knife you cut the squash with to make several small cuts into the skin on both halves.  The stabing helps the cooking process.
Heathy Spaghetti Squash, Gluten Free, Spaghetti noodle alternative- Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/
 4- Cook the spaghetti squash in the oven at 350 for 30-45 minutes until the skin feels soft and squishy.  I usually use a hot pad and squeeze the squash half to test for doneness.  The length of time it takes to cook depends on the size of your squash.

5-  Fork it Out.  Using a fork make marks down the squash from the top to the bottom.  You will see noodle like strings come loose.  I keep scraping and scooping the noodles into a bowl until all the yummy goodness is cleaned out.  

With these 5 easy steps (cut, clean, stab, cook, and fork it out) you can enjoy spaghetti squash and all the healthiness it has to offer.  Top it with a little butter and use it as a side dish, or make up some marinara sauce to have a healthy gluten free meal.  

Seriously, make spaghetti squash.  It's delicious and a perfect way to help you keep your new year goals.    

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE spaghetti squash! Although for some reason I never thought of it as a side, I should try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post! It was helpful in prepping my own Spaghetti Squash last night for the first time! I hope you'll check out my post on it:
    http://agratefullifelived.blogspot.com/2014/04/preparing-spaghetti-squash-college-dorm.html

    ReplyDelete