Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Best Books to Give for Every Age

Do you ever find yourself wondering what to give someone for Christmas or a birthday or Father's Day or Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa or a million other events?  My answer is, and always will be, give a book!

Besides the obvious reason that reading is beneficial for language development (verbal and written), but it is entertaining, and there is a bond that results when you give a book.  Plus, there are numerous studies saying that if you read you're basically smarter.  Reading is good.  Helping someone find the book that lights the fire of reading is amazing.  Giving books as a present is awesome!

Sure you could give a gift card to a bookstore, but that isn't the same as actually picking a book.  I challenge you to actually give a book.  Nothing better!

The other day my sister was brainstorming neighbor gifts ideas when she decided she'd give a Christmas book.  Seriously love this idea!

Every year we open a new Christmas picture book on Christmas Eve.  I love expanding our collection and my kids love having a new book to read on Christmas Eve.  If you are in need of Christmas books check my post last week.  You will get plenty of options there.  

However, if you aren't looking for  Christmas book, then let me give you a few other book ideas for every age.  Just as a heads up, if I didn't say it would be best for a boy or a girl that means it would work for either sex.  However, let me state for a millionth time, girls will read boy books and books with boys as main characters, but boys will rarely read books with girls as main characters aka girls books. Also, I didn't include any hugely popular books like Divergent, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, etc., but those are always great options.  


Best Books to Give
Toddler:
 Don’t Push the Button by Bill Cotter

Early Elementary: 

Late Elementary:
 Boys- The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (this is the first in the series)
Girl- Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo

Middle School:
Boy- Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (first in series)

High School:
Boy- The Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card (an oldie but goodie, also a series)
Girl- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Adult:
Boys- David and Goliath by Malcom Gladwell 
Girls- The Book Thief by Mark Zusak

I have several other lists that can help you out too.  This Read Aloud Book list (home or teacher led) or this Summer Reading list for all ages would be great options for more book ideas to give broken down by ages.  Basically, these lists are golden for ideas of good books to gift.


I am lucky enough to have amazing friends.  This year one of my dear friends sent me a surprising package.  This dear friend has always been a fan of giving books as presents b/c she's awesome like that.  There are actually a few books in my collection (on the shelves and my iPad) that bear her endearing words on the inside. I always re-read the inscriptions; it makes me happy.

So, with my friends love for giving books it shouldn't have surprised me what was in the package she sent me.  When I opened the package I found a super cute family picture to hang on my door (where I display all of my Christmas cards b/c it makes me happy), a handmade card, this adorable book, and an awesome inscription my kids and I love.

This dear friend gave my a picture book that her kids love.  How awesome is that?!  Such a great idea, right?!  Therefore, if the above list doesn't quite answer all of your book gift needs, and the linked lists don't either b/c you've given every book on there ;) just think about you and/or your kids favorite books.

If all of the above still fails b/c you are simply amazing just holler.  Please ask me; I love talking books.  I would love to give you more ideas and be your virtual librarian.

Happy reading and gifting!  

No comments:

Post a Comment