Thursday, June 13, 2013

No Sleep for the Sheep!

No Sleep for the Sheep! by Karen Beaumont is a really fun picture book.  It's fun for toddlers b/c they can say the animal sounds.  It's fun for parents to read the story with the sounds.  It's fun for teachers b/c there are several different lessons you can do with this well written and humorous book.  It's fun for librarians b/c it is a great read aloud with a good beat.  It's an all around fun book!

I'd give this book 5 out of 5 stars b/c of all of the reasons above.  There is so much you can do and enjoy with this book.  I even bought this book, and that is saying a lot.  Now that I have a family I am on a much stricter book budget... I can't buy every book I want to.  However, this book is great; I had to fit it into the budget!  Any library, home, or classroom should try and fit this one into their budget as well.

My 2 year old loves reading No Sleep for the Sheep!  She loves the pace, the wonderful pictures, and she loves to participate.  A Kindergartner will love this book b/c it has a predictable pattern that will allow them to participate in the "reading."  Plus, this will be a good book for children to begin to independent read with b/c of the predictable pattern.  A 2nd or 3rd grader will love the pictures and the story itself.  I wouldn't go past 3rd grade though, but feel free to try if you are a teacher and have a brilliant plan or art project that is inspired by this book (like creating writing and illustrating a similarly done book).

Since I've been a teacher and a librarian I often think how books can be used for entertainment as well as education.  A teacher or librarian could easily use this book for word choice or even sentence fluency.  Onomatopoeia is fun to teach and learn, and this book will allow for that fun learning.

Amazon had the following book description so you can get an idea of the story:

"One tired sheep wants nothing more than a good night's sleep. All is peaceful until—QUACK! Is that a duck at the barn door? And now a goat? A pig? A cow? A horse? Each new unexpected guest is bigger and louder than the last! How will the sheep ever get this barnyard crowd to quiet down before—COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO!"   

No Sleep for the Sheep! is a great picture book for toddlers all the way up to 8 year olds.  Plus, my husband and I thoroughly enjoy it as well.  Go get it from the library or the book store so you can enjoy it too!

Happy reading!  

PS- What's on your summer reading list?  I'm just finishing Night Circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment