Happy 2017! What better way is there to start off the new year than with the best?!
This sandwich is the absolute best grilled cheese sandwich. Ever. It is truly The Ultimate Grilled Cheese.
The flavors are perfect with the honey, basil, tomatoes, and Havarti cheese. The soft and gooey center goes perfectly with the crunchy buttery bread. The entire flavor and texture combination make it the best grilled cheese sandwich.
This is the perfect sandwich for those cold days, days you need a quick lunch or dinner, and days you just need a little extra comfort found in a delicious meal. Kids will enjoy this grilled cheese, but adults will love it.
My sister shared this recipe with me, and I am forever grateful. My grilled cheese days will never be the same again. My sister apparently got the recipe or idea for the recipe from Oprah about 13 years ago. My family went to visit her family in Nebraska this last October. It gets a lot colder than Arizona and the wind cuts through you. One day for lunch after we had been outside with the kids, and I was a little chilled, she introduced me to this. It was amazing! My taste buds were happy.
I almost bought a panini/sandwich maker for this sandwich alone b/c that is how my sister made the sandwich and I had to recreate it. My husband helped prevent that impulse purchase, and, as a result, I learned I could get the same texture and look from my grill pan. You could do this on a griddle as well. Basically, you can make this sandwich with whatever you have. Basically, you just need to make this sandwich.
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Recipe: My Sister
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 0
2 bread slices
2 Havarti cheese slices
2 tomato slices
dash basil, dried (can do fresh)
Optional: thin ham slices
- Heat your griddle or grill pan to medium to low heat. If you have a panini/sandwich maker heat that up.
- Butter the outside of both slices of bread.
- Evenly spread honey on the inside of both slices of bread.
- Place Havarti cheese on top of the honey on both slices of bread.
- Place your tomato slices on one side of the sandwich. I've used sliced grape tomatoes, and it works just as marvelously.
- If you want to add ham to your sandwich do this on the bread slice without tomatoes.
- Place fresh basil on top of the tomatoes, or sprinkle dried basil on top of the tomatoes.
- Put your bread slices together to build your sandwich, and place the sandwich butter side down on the heated pan.
- Cook your sandwich to your desired crispiness.
Happy Ultimate Grilled Cheese sandwich eating!