Monday, August 29, 2016

Raymie Nightingale gets 3.5 Stars {Juvenile Lit/Middle Grade Fiction}

Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo is this award winning authors latest book.  I love DiCamillo's writing style; her books are amazing.  However, I felt this one was mediocre.  3.5 out of 5 stars for this middle grade realistic fiction book review.  This coming of age friendship story is cute and relatable for kids with single families or parents that left/died.  Best for 4th-7th grade. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I am a big fan of Kate DiCamillo.  I think her writing style is absolutely gorgeous; in a sense it is very poetic and full of depth.  Her previous book, Flora and Ulysses won the Newbery and it is such a fun story.  I've loved The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane as well as The Tale of Despereaux, and I think her Mercy Watson early reader/beginning reader series is brilliant.  It is my favorite early reader series.  I know, I'm giving a lot of praise for Kate DiCamillo, but she is a fantastic author.  If you haven't read the books I listed above please do.  

I was super excited to read Kate DiCamillo's latest book, Raymie Nightingale, and when I finally got it from the library I read it right away.  After reading, Raymie Nightingale, I can say that this book is probably my least favorite DiCamillo book. **Sadness**  

Raymie Nightingale gets 3.5 out of 5 Stars in my book review.  I feel this middle grade fiction book is best for 4th though 7th grade.  It's a lovely coming of age story about unlikely friendships, and I think it is a valuable and relatable story for girls raised by single parents or extended family. All in all, it is a well written beautiful story.  

However, it did lose a significant amount in my book review b/c the story doesn't keep you intrigued and wanting to come back for more.  The pace wasn't necessarily slow, but it didn't move either.  Basically, it is an okay book with a message that I felt wasn't all that powerful.  Overall, I feel the story was mostly about unlikely friendship among 3 girls and the strength they brought to each other.  

Amazon has the following book description: 

"Raymie Clarke has come to realize that everything, absolutely everything, depends on her. And she has a plan. If Raymie can win the Little Miss Central Florida Tire competition, then her father, who left town two days ago with a dental hygienist, will see Raymie's picture in the paper and (maybe) come home. To win, not only does Raymie have to do good deeds and learn how to twirl a baton; she also has to contend with the wispy, frequently fainting Louisiana Elefante, who has a show-business background, and the fiery, stubborn Beverly Tapinski, who’s determined to sabotage the contest. But as the competition approaches, loneliness, loss, and unanswerable questions draw the three girls into an unlikely friendship — and challenge each of them to come to the rescue in unexpected ways."

Does it sound interesting or just a little quirky? Have you read Raymie Nightingale; what did you think?

Are you a Kate DiCamillo fan? Have you read any of her books; do you have a favorite? 

Happy Coming of Age Middle Grade Fiction Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment