As I mentioned in my previous Alice in Wonderland Splintered book club post I got super excited to host book club. I got to make all sorts of fun food b/c this book is a modern twist/extension on the original children's classic Alice in Wonderland book. Lots of fun in the food department. .
When I gave you the recipe for my "Grow Me" Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms, which are so easy to make and oh so delicious I reminded you of where the shrinking and growing mushrooms come into play. If you recall the original Alice in Wonderland story Alice is given a mushroom by the caterpillar. He informs her that one side of the mushroom will make her shorter (Shrink Me) and the other side will make her taller (Grow Me).
These simple sugar cookies with an almost snickerdoodle taste are shaped like mushrooms. They make the perfect "Shrink Me" Mushrooms to accompany the "Grow Me" Stuffed Mushrooms I gave you Thursday.
These "Shrink Me" Mushroom Shaped Cookies are delicious as well as fun. Everyone will love these mushroom cookies, even my husband who is anti-mushrooms enjoys these cookies.
"Shrink Me" Mushroom Shaped Sugar Cookies
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from Sprinklebakes
Active Time: 25
Inactive Time: 20 minutes
Servings: About 1 1/2 dozen with medium scoop
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. corn starch
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a stand mixer or medium bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Add the corn starch, flour, and baking powder to the dough and mix until just combined.
- Let the dough stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or a spoon get balls of cookie dough that are approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons in size. If you use a cookie scoop be sure to round the dough in a ball with your hands before placing them on the cookie sheet..
- Place the cocoa into a small bowl or ramekin, and then grab a cap from a soda bottle or 2 liter.
- Press the cap, open side down, into one of the cookie balls until the sides flatten slightly and make a mushroom. This will get some of the oil from the cookie onto the cap to help the cocoa to stick to the mushroom cookie. Now place the cap into the cocoa. Cocoa should be stuck to the inside of the cap now. Again press the cap into the same cookie to transfer some of the cocoa to the cookie.
- For the remaining cookies place the cap into the cocoa and then press it down into the cookie dough ball making the mushroom shape. Do this to the remaining cookie dough balls.
- Bake the mushroom cookies at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes until they are slightly browned on the edges.
- Enjoy your "Shrink Me" Mushrooms. :)
- Store leftovers in an air tight container on the counter.
Happy "Shrink Me" Mushroom Shaped Corn Starch Sugar Cookie eating!