Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Soft Dark Chocolate, Coconut Oil and Protein Powder Cookies {Healthy Treat}

Semi-Healthy Super Soft Dark Chocolate Cookies made with coconut oil and protein powder.  These soft and delectable cookies are so good you won't notice there is healthy good for you ingredients.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/ healthy treats cookies, dessert, dairy free,

I absolutely LOVE cookies.  They are by far my absolute favorite dessert.  I love that they are a casual laid back hand dessert, and a dessert I can easily grab and eat one, two, three or more as I am multi-tasking.  I love how many varieties there are.  I love that the majority of cookies don't have frosting (I'm not a frosting fan).  I love that homemade cookies make almost anyone happy. 

I have a good friend that I go running with; she is also my cookie loving friend.  This friend is a big fan of cookies, and she is an equally healthy lifestyle fan.  My friend workouts daily, just like I do, but she can also eat more sweets and treats than anyone I know.  It really is impressive.  

The other day I made these Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil cookies when my friend was stopping by.  It was love at first sight when I said they were somewhat healthy with the dark chocolate and the healthy fat from the coconut oil.

However, being the baker I am I tweak recipes.  My friend said it wasn't needed until I mention I tweaked it to up its "healthy" status by adding some protein powder.  After a few more tries I have what I consider a very very successful, delicious, super soft, super chocolaty, semi-healthy cookie using coconut oil and protein powder.

In regards to protein powder, I have tried a lot of different kinds.  I have a hard time with whey based protein powders; they are harder on my stomach and make me sick (though what doesn't these days;/).  However, this organic plant based protein powder I can get at Costco has been a winner.  It doesn't make me sick, works perfectly as an on the go breakfast full of protein, and it actually tastes good.  I often add chia seeds to the almond milk and protein powder for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack.  

Though, let us get back to these Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil and Protein Powder Cookies. These cookies are soft.  These cookies have tons of chocolate deliciousness, and you can totally justify these cookies in your holiday diet.

I do have plans, with my running cookie loving friend, next week to work on another version of these cookies using a sugar substitute and possibly even more protein powder.  I'll keep you posted, but check my instagram @alohamoraopenabook for more immediate feedback. 

Somewhat Healthy Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies
Recipe: Alohamora
Active Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
Servings: About 2 dozen

Ingredients: 
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. flour, unbleached
1/2 c. cake flour
1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 Tbsp chocolate protein powder*
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 (10 oz) pkg dark chocolate/bittersweet chips (about 1 1/2 c.)*

*Check labels for dairy free

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with baking mats or parchment paper if you have them. 
  2. If your coconut oil is firm place the jar (without the lid) in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt it.  
  3. In a large bowl or stand mixer cream the coconut oil and sugars together,  The batter may be a little runny, but keep going.  
  4. Beat in the vanilla and eggs one at a time.
  5. In the order listed add the flours, cocoa powder, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the cookie dough until it is just combined. 
  6. Using a spoon to stir, or the low setting on your stand mixer, add the chocolate chips and mix until it is just combined.
  7. Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough out on the prepared pan.  
  8. Bake at 325 for 6-7 minutes or until the cookies are no longer shiny.  It doesn't need to be all of the way done, but mostly. 
  9. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes or so before removing them to a cooling rack
  10. Store leftover cookies in the an airtight container or cookie jar on the counter. 
  11. Enjoy!


Happy Sort of Healthy Dark Chocolate Protein Packed Coconut Oil Cookie eating! 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment