Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash w/ Bacon Vinaigrette {Healthy} {Vegetable Side Dish}


Let me tell you a sad sad story.  Throughout my youth I was forced to eat brussels sprouts. Wo is my life, I know. 

My father lived in England for a couple years and while over there he developed a love for the vegetable that I despised.  My dad stated that him eating brussels sprouts since his early twenties is the reason he still has a full head of hair today.  

Even though my father loved this vegetable his love was never passed on.  I remember many dinners where I gagged down the few brussels sprouts just so I could leave the table, but there were other nights it took my a long long time to gag those few bites down. I was not a fan of brussels sprouts. 

However, now that I am a grown adult with a desire to be and eat healthy I decided to give brussels sprouts another try.  


I love roasted vegetables, and I was hopeful that I could also love brussels sprouts if done the right way.  Let me just say that these Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash with a Bacon Apple Cider Vinaigrette are done right and make for some absolutely amazing vegetables that everyone will love.  

Brussels sprouts are super healthy, and now you can benefit from all of it's healthy benefits with a deliciously healthy side dish. .  

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash w/ Bacon Vinaigrette
Recipe: Alohamora adapted Williams Sonoma
Active Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4-6

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. brussels sprouts
2 1/2-3 c. butternut squash, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/3 c. bacon bits
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
5 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves

Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil. 
  2. In a large bowl combine the brussels sprouts, chopped butternut squash, olive oil, salt, pepper, sage, and garlic powder. Stir to combine everything.  
  3. Pour the vegetables onto the prepared pan and bake it at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and cooked thoroughly.
  4. While the vegetables are cooking make the vinaigrette by combining the cider vinegar, olive oil, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and thyme in a small bowl or mug and stir to combine everything.  
  5. Remove the vegetables from the oven and pour them into a serving bowl. 
  6. Add the bacon to the vegetables and stir to combine everything. 
  7. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables and stir to combine everything. 
  8. Serve immediately.
  9. Enjoy! 
  10. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Happy Healthy and Delicious Vegetable Side Dish eating!  Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Bacon Vinaigrette makes for deliciously healthy eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment