Thursday, May 7, 2015

Revenge of the Dinotrux gets 4 Stars

Revenge of the Dinotrux by Chris Gall gets 4 out of 5 stars.  It's a great book little boys (toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartner, first and second grader) will love.  I like this sequel better than the first.  Fun story, and a good read aloud in the classroom, library, or at home.  Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Two of my kids have birthdays next week.  It's a week full of cake, kid dinner requests, presents, and celebrating.  It's a fun and sugar filled week!

We have a birthday book tradition in my family.  On the child's birthday he/she gets to pick out a book for their own personal library.  On the inside front cover of that special birthday book my husband and I write a letter to the birthday child.  We tell the child things we love about he/she and the amazing traits he/she possess. 

It's a lot of fun to see what book the child chooses b/c it very much speaks to their personality at that point in their life.  It is also fun for the kids to look back at their bday books and read the notes written to them  Basically, it a fun family tradition for everyone.

This year, my soon to be 3 year old son picked Revenge of the Dinotrux by Chris Gall for his birthday book, and he honestly picked an absolutely perfect book.  My son, like many young kids, especially boys, loves trucks and dinosaurs.  This book has both of them; that automatically makes it a 5 star book according to my son.  

However, I critique books a bit more.  I give Revenge of the Dinotrux 4 out of 5 stars.

I personally think this story is quite cute, and I like it better than Dinotrux the first book.  Velocitractors, Tyrannosaurus Trux, and Cementosaurus are some of my favorite dinotrux names that I find to be quite original and cute.  The story in general has some funny jokes (a few gross ones as well including the present Cementosaurus leaves in the town square), and a good story with the theme about friendship and that education can change people.  

I took a star away from this book b/c though the names are creative the story does not have the best writing.  However, only a librarian and critical reader like myself would care about that.  My 2 year old son and 3 year old daughter just enjoy the story and pictures.  They love this book, and it would make a great read aloud for preschool, kindergarten, and first graders. 

I love that my son picked this book for his birthday book; we've already read it a dozen times and I don't see it slowing down.  This book will definitely be in your rotation.  

Amazon had the following book description

"THE DINOTRUX ARE BACK... AND LOOKING FOR A SNACK!

Millions of years ago, DINOTRUX ruled the earth. But in the present day, people rule them! Their rusty fossils have spent decades stuck in a drafty museum surrounded by screaming kids, and now they're ready to break out and let off some really old steam.

HONNNK!!! DINOTRUX ARE ON THE LOOSE!

Garbageadon eats cars, Craneosaurus peeks in windows, and Tyrannosaurus Trux climbs a skyscraper... Who will win the mighty standoff between man and prehistoric beast? Find out in this rip-roaring sequel to Chris Gall's highly praised Dinotrux, featuring all your favorite trux and some never-before-seen ones!"

If you have a child that loves dinosaurs then he/she will love this book.  Go check it out!

Happy Dinotrux reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment