Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps {Gluten Free}

Classic egg salad just the way grandma made them, but on crisp lettuce leafs for a healthy touch.  Quick and easy lunch or dinner full of protein, and it's a great way to use up leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter. Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I think of my Grandma every time I eat or make egg salad.  My gma, who pretty much made everything delicious (she was an amazing cook) always made egg salad sandwiches for road trips.

There were many random parks or rest stops on various interstates I remember eating an egg salad sandwich.  It was what we did.

I love egg salad sandwiches, but I didn't always make it.  For years, I only had egg salad when grandma or my mom made it. Weak sauce, I know.  It's so quick and easy I'm not sure why I didn't. 

Luckily there was one summer when I was in college where I went to live with my older sister.  She was playing professional soccer and I thought it would be fun to spend the summer with her.

We had a blast that summer, and we made many memories.  That summer is when I started to make egg salad sandwiches.  That summer my sister and I ate a lot of egg salad sandwiches and Double Dippers (aka chocolate covered peanuts).  I think that could be declared the summer of egg salad sandwiches and double dippers.  

That summer with my sister we usually enjoyed our egg salad sandwich on warm toasted bread.  Which is delicious.  However, I don't eat as much bread these days.  Now, I enjoy egg salad on crisp lettuce leafs.  It's also delicious and I'd say pretty much amazing.  Plus, it's healthy, full of protein, and few carbs.

Bonus, you can use up any leftover hard boiled eggs you may have from Easter.

Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps
Recipe: Alohamora and Gma J
Active Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 2 (easily adjust for needs)

Ingredients: 
4 eggs, hard boiled, peeled, and chopped
2 Tbsp mayonnaise (olive-oil mayo works as well)
2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbsp green onions, diced
garlic powder, seasoning salt (or regular salt), and pepper to taste
4 Romaine Lettuce leafs washed
Optional: paprika as a topping

Directions: 

  1. In a small bowl add the eggs, mayo, mustard and green onions. Stir to combine everything. 
  2. Add a dash of garlic powder, seasoning salt, and black pepper to taste and stir to combine. 
  3. Divide the egg salad among the four lettuce leafs and add a pinch of paprika to the top if you so desire. 
  4. Enjoy your egg salad lettuce wraps!
  5. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. 

Happy Classic, Simple, and Delicious Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment