Thursday, November 15, 2012

Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum

Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum by Lisa Wheeler is a fun picture book.  It is fun to read aloud b/c it has some pace to it as well as descriptive words and a silly story line.  We recently got this one from the library, and I was reminded of my love for it.  Even my husband thought this was a "fun story to read."

I would most definitely give this picture book 4.5 stars.  I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't get the last 1/2 a star, but it's b/c there is something weird with the bear at the end of the book that rubs me the wrong way.  Honestly, this could be just a quirky me issue, and you will see no reason that this book shouldn't be a 5 star book.  I honestly think this book is 5 star quality, but I am quite picky with my rating system.

Let's talk about my reasons for the greatness of this book.  First, it is fun to read and fun to listen too.  This is a rhyming book, and it therefore has a really good beat to it.  This book also has really fun drawings and characters that enhance the story.  Plus, this book has a fun story line that is unique and creative.  My second reason for loving this book is b/c it is great for all ages.  My toddler loves this book, as well as the elementary school kids I worked with.  They all loved the book for the above reasons.

Kids are not the only ones to love this book.  Teachers and librarians love this book as well, and this is my third reason for why this book is great.  If a teacher is teaching 6 Traits of Writing, this is a wonderful book for Word Choice.  This story talks about a toad stuck in gum, but it doesn't just say a toad is stuck in gum.  The first page reads, "Bubble gum, bubble gum, Chewy-gooey bubble gum.  Icky-sticky bubble gum melting in the road.  Along comes a toad... A fine, fat toad.  A fine, fat, wild- SPLAT!- wart-backed toad."  The rest of the book continues in such a fun way.  Now, any teacher or librarian teaching about word choice is going to love how descriptive Wheeler is in this book.  This book is an absolute perfect choice to teach kids about Word Choice in their writing.

Alright, go check this fabulous book out.  It's a fun one to read no matter what your age is.  You will enjoy reading it, and your kids will love reading it with you.  Everyone will benefit for multiple reasons.

On a side note: I realize I've been on a picture book kick lately.  If you like picture book reviews let me know.  If you aren't a big fan of them please let me know.  Basically, let me know!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment