Monday, September 11, 2017

Carve the Mark gets 2 Stars {sci-fi, ya lit}

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth, the author of the Divergent series, gets 2 stars in this book review.  Slow, boring, unoriginal, boring characters, space, racism, insensitive writing.  Alohamora Open a Book alohamoraopenabook http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I thoroughly enjoyed the Divergent series.  It was fast paced, lots of action, likable characters, and enough quirky and unique aspects but not completely out there.  It was a fun series.  However, everything I liked about Divergent was not in Veronica Roth's new book.  Sadness.  

Carve the Mark is Roth's latest book, and I will say I am not a fan.  I give this book 2 out of 5 stars, and the only reason this book received 2 instead of 1 star is b/c I did finish this book.  To be honest, this book is slow-paced, boring, scattered and hard to follow plot, boring characters. and some sensitive topics, like racism, poorly presented.  

I would be surprised if Roth purposely wrote this story with a racist undertone; however, the characters and different groups of people with different skin colors (one peaceful and the other savage) was poorly written and editors should've caught it.  Shame on everyone involved.   

All in all, I was highly disappointed with Veronica's latest book.  I truly hope she can publish another great one so she is not known as a one-hit wonder.    

When was the last time you were thoroughly disappointed by a book? 


Happy Sci-Fi YA Lit Space reading! Though, if you really want to read this book I suggest you read/listen to the audiobook.  That may be the only way you'd be able to get through it.

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
Rating: 2/5 stars
Best For: 14 - 18 year olds, 9th grade and up.
Worth a Check Out: No.
Buy It or Not: No.
Read Aloud: No.
Lesson Ideas: Portrayal of sensitive subjects like race. 



No comments:

Post a Comment