Thursday, July 27, 2017

Dr. Potts, My Pets Have Spots! gets 3.5 Stars {picture book}

Dr. Potts, My Pets Have Spots! by Rod Hull gets 3.5 out of 5 stars.  Good repetition with phrases which is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners.  Fun story idea. Illustrations are great. Fun endpapers. picture book. Alohamora Open a Book, alohamoraopenabook https://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

A dog, fish, cat, snake, rat, rabbit, frog, and bird all with spots.  This poor man didn't know what to do, so he brought them to the Vet.  Obviously, they all had Spottyitis, and a special bright green tonic was just what they needed.  

The medicine worked, it always does, but it caused another problem.  Whether it was stripes, tears, or beards, aka Stripe Throat, Cryalotis, or Beardolepsy, the animals just couldn't get back to normal.  Dr. Potts made medicine after medicine to help this family, until a solution was finally found. 


 Dr. Potts, My Pets Have Spots! by Rod Hull is a super cute idea for a picture book.  
PS, I think the picture below when the animals all have beards is cute. 


Dr. Potts, My Pets Have Spots! by Rod Hull gets 3.5 out of 5 stars.  Good repetition with phrases which is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners.  Fun story idea. Illustrations are great. Fun endpapers. picture book. Alohamora Open a Book, alohamoraopenabook https://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I give Dr. Potts, My Pets Have Spots! 3.5 out of 5 stars.  I think the book appearance is well done, cute, and grabs the reader.  The illustrations are great and the endpapers are super fun.  I also feel the idea for this book is fun, silly, and unique. The repetitious phrases with the great adjectives for each scenario is perfect for the target age group. 

Dr. Potts had some great aspects; it was the writing and the ending that caused the lower rating.  The writing didn't seem quite polished.  The rhythm was a little choppy and awkward at times, and the ending was a bit of a let down.  All of these negative aspects deal with the writing, but the writing is a big deal.  Now, I do realize the author died before the book was published, but I feel a good editor would've helped polish the story still. 

All in all, it's a fun story, but the book could've been better. 


Dr. Potts, My Pets Have Spots! by Rod Hull gets 3.5 out of 5 stars.  Good repetition with phrases which is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners.  Fun story idea. Illustrations are great. Fun endpapers. picture book. Alohamora Open a Book, alohamoraopenabook https://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Happy Funny and Silly Animal Loving picture book reading! 

Dr. Potts, My Pets Have Spots! by Rod Hull 
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Best For: 3 - 8 year olds, Preschool through 2nd grade. 
Worth a Check Out: Yes.
Buy It or Not: No.
Read Aloud: I wouldn't unless for a lesson. 
Lesson Ideas: Animals, Pets, Veterinarians, Word choice- adjectives.



I received this book from Myrick Marketing in exchange for my review and honest opinion.  All of my thoughts, opinions, and words are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment