It's my birthday week, so I figured it was only fitting that I share something butternut squash related. I absolutely LOVE all things butternut squash related.
Here are a few of my favorite butternut squash recipes in case you have an obsession with this wonderful winter squash as well.
- Butternut Squash, Bacon, and Spinach Pizza - Oh so so yummy
- Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole - My absolute favorite enchiladas
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash w/ Bacon Vinaigrette - The only way I've been able to eat brussels sprouts; this vegetable side dish is amazing.
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese - Amazing comfort food combination.
To make this dish busy weeknight friendly, allowing you to get it on the table in 30 minutes, I used premade frozen butternut squash ravioli. I like this brand,Rising Moon, b/c it is delicious and I often get a Buy One Get One sale at Sprouts.
However, the deliciousness with this dish comes from the amazing homemade cream sauce. I add bacon, but it is amazing without the bacon if you want to keep it vegetarian. There is a little turmeric, which compliments the butternut squash so well, and it has some ani-inflamatory benefits which I need.
All in all, this cream sauce is AMAZING, it's easy to make, you feel like a Boss making it from scratch, and the dinner is ready in no time.
Smoky Bacon Cream Sauce w/ Butternut Squash Ravioli
Active Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 0
Servings: 4-6 people
2 (8oz) pkg frozen butternut squash ravioli
1/4 c. butter, unsalted
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp basil, dried, or fresh
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. mozzarella, shredded
1/4 c. bacon bits (optional)
- Boil a pot of water and prepare the ravioli according to the directions on the package.
- While the water and ravioli is going begin your sauce. In a large saucepan melt the butter and garlic together.
- Add the flour when the butter is melted and stir to combine it.
- Quickly add the spices, or slide pan from the heat and add the salt, pepper, ground mustard, turmeric, and basil to the pan and stir until just combined and flavorful.
- Add the milk to the pan and stir constantly until the sauce is thickened.
- When thickened turn off the heat and add the mozzarella. Stir the cheese until it is melted.
- Finally, add the bacon bits to the sauce if you desire.
- Serve the sauce hot over the cooked ravioli.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Happy Amazing Smoky Homemade Cream Sauce with Butternut Squash Ravioli eating!