Butternut Squash is one of my absolute favorite vegetables. It's delicious and so versatile. The other day I had some leftover roasted butternut squash, and decided to reinvent dinner with it. It was a delicious dinner of comfort food goodness.
Mac and Cheese is a comfort food; most everyone, kids to adults, love. It is honestly my go to meal when bringing dinner to someone.
However, this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is even better. It's creamier, cheesier, and it sneaks in some extra vegetables. According to my husband, you'd have no idea butternut squash is in there unless someone tells you.
Delicious Mac and Cheese goodness with a bonus serving of veggies. This is definitely a meal kids, Moms, and Dads can come together and enjoy.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Active Time 40 minutes
Inactive Time: 20 minutes
1 box (8oz) quinoa pasta (you can use up to 12 oz of any pasta)
1/2 butternut squash, roasted (2-2 1/2 cups)
1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. milk
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 c. onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp ground mustard
dash of salt and pepper
1 c. milk
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
Toppings (Optional): 1/4 c. breadcrumbs
- In a medium to large pot boil water and cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain and rinse the pasta; place it in a 2 quart baking dish. Feel free to use any kind of pasta you want; I like to use quinoa pasta b/c it's gluten free and has the superfood quinoa in it with extra protein.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a blender or immersion blender to puree the butternut squash and a half a cup of milk.
- In a mug or small cup whisk another half a cup of milk with the cornstarch.
- In a large pan over medium heat add the butter, onion, garlic, and spices and cook it until the butter is melted and onions are softened.
- Add the butternut squash and milk mix to the pan and stir to combine everything.
- Add the milk cornstarch mix and 1 cup of milk to the pan and stir to combine everything. Keep stirring the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes until it is slightly thickened.
- Add the cheese and stir until it is melted and combined.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add it to the cooked pasta in the prepared pan.
- Stir to combine the butternut squash cheese mixture and pasta and then top it with breadcrumbs.
- Bake the Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese for 20-30 minutes until warm and bubbly.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator/fridge.
Happy sneaky vegetable comfort food eating aka Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese deliciousness!