I'm a huge fan of this moist chocolate cupcake and creamy peanut butter frosting recipe. I love the amazing chocolate peanut butter flavors, and I love that this recipe makes a small 6 inch double layer cake, or 12 cupcakes.
I'm a big fan of sweets and treats, but I don't need 24 cupcakes every time I make them, and cake/cupcakes are always best fresh. Therefore, this small recipe is absolutely perfect.
Basically, I LOVE this recipe... absolutely and completely. It makes the perfect amount, and it is the perfect chocolate cake recipe with the perfect frosting.
For those gluten free friends, I've made this recipe using gluten free flour and it tastes equally delicious.
The BEST Peanut Butter Frosting (and 12 Chocolate Cupcakes)
Recipe: Alohamora and Cupcake recipe from Elma (my sister's friend)
Active Time: 7 minutes for the Frosting, and 20 minutes for the Cupcakes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 cupcakes or 6 inch double layer cupcake.
For the Cake:
3/4 c. sugar
6 Tbsp oil
1 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c. boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. powdered sugar
1 c. peanut butter, creamy
5 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 12 cupcake liners in a muffin tin, or grease and flour (I use a combine spray like Bakers) two 6 x 2 inch round cake pans well.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer add your first three cake ingredients and mix it on low until well combined.
- Add your flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in that order on top of your sugar mixture. On low, mix it all together until it is well combined. It will seem somewhat dry to you.
- With your mixer on low slowly pour in the boiling water. You may need to use a spatula halfway through the mixing to make sure the water is combining with all of the cake mixture. It will appear quite soupy at this point.
- Finally, add the vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop to fill your 12 cupcakes, or evenly distribute the cake batter between the two prepared 6 x 2 inch pans. Bake the cupcakes at 325 for 19-24 minutes (19 was my magic number), or bake the 6 inch cake for 25-30 minutes (25 minutes was my magic number) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the cupcakes are done take it out and let it cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: In a stand mixer mix the first five ingredients (everything except the heavy cream) on low until it is light and creamy scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Add the heavy cream to the frosting and mix it on high for 3-5 minutes until it is light and smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes as you choose. I think frosting cupcakes is easiest and quickest with a tip and bag, but you can go old school like my mom usually did. This recipe makes enough frosting for a 6 inch cake as well.
- Store cupcakes or cake leftovers in the fridge or on the counter in a sealed container.
- This cake and frosting recipe freezes well. I like to make this recipe using my gluten free flour and freeze it in pieces to take out and enjoy as I please.