In less than a week we'll be celebrating one of my favorite holidays. I love Memorial Dayfor so many reasons. It's usually the end of the school year, it's warming up and becoming time to play outside, and in Denver there is a huge 10k race (Boulder Boulder) that was an absolute blast to run. If you are near Denver, you should plan on running this race. The people watching alone makes it worth it, but the crowds often times provide some interesting refreshments ("Magic Brownies" and Beer they say to help you carb load) throughout the race.
I love this holiday, and I love this Cold Summer Bean Salad w/ a Kick. I love the BBQ's and fun that go on to kick the summer off right. I love that this easy bean salad is diet friendly, flavorful, can be made ahead, and the perfect compliment to any summer meal.
I love healthy no-bake salads, and I love how quick and easy it is to whip this salad up.
Happy almost summer time, and happy Memorial Day!
Cold Summer Bean Salad w/ a Kick
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from Allrecipes
Active Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Servings: About 6 cups
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. roasted corn (frozen from Trader Joes, fresh, or 1 can of corn drained)
1 can (10 oz) Rotel or diced tomatoes with green chili or cilantro w/ lime
1/2 c. bell pepper (orange or yellow), diced
1/4 c. red onion, diced
3 Tbsp white vinegar
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp ground cumin (more or less depending on desired spiciness)
Salt/pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl mix the first five ingredients together.
- In a mug or small measuring cup mix/whisk the remaining ingredients together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and stir to combine everything.
- Cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or longer if needed. Feel free to make this a day or so ahead of time.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
Happy Cold Summer Bean Salad eating!