We're big fans of BFD, Breakfast for Dinner, but I am sure we are not alone in that matter. Every once in a while I ask my kids what they want for dinner and they give me an answer different from cereal.
This last week I asked my kiddos what they wanted for dinner and they said waffles. I obliged their request, but I did what I often do. I experimented. This little experiment turned out quite fabulous that I had to make them several times just to be sure of it's deliciousness.
I think my favorite part of these Savory Cheddar Bacon Waffles is the crispy cheese edges on the waffle. However, my husband just loves the combination of flavors.
You must make these waffles for your next BFD.
Savory Cheddar Bacon Waffles
Recipe: Alohamora adapted from Chow.com
Active Time: 5 minutes + cook time
Inactive Time: 0
Servings: 8-10 4 inch waffles
1 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, large
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. and 1 Tbsp milk
1/4 c. butter, unsalted and melted
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c. bacon bits
- Preheat your waffle iron, and spray a cooking spray on it to prevent sticking.
- In a small to medium bowl add the dry ingredients and whisk it all together with a fork.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, milk, and butter to the dry ingredients and stir it with a fork until it is well combined.
- Finally, add the cheese (the sharper the cheese the better I think) and bacon to the batter and mix until it is well combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter on your preheated waffle iron and cook until it is cooked and reaches your desired crispiness.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.