Monday, July 21, 2014

Simple and Easy Crock-Pot Barbecue Chicken

Super simple and easy crock-pot Barbecue Chicken. Serve over rice or on a bun for a bbq sandwich.  Both delicious!  You can even use frozen chicken with them gluten free dairy free meal. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

This weekend we had some people over for dinner.  The day before I learned one of the ladies joining us for dinner was needing to follow a Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free diet per doctor's orders.  

I was definitely needing to think a bit harder about what we were going to have for dinner and dessert.  Everything I could think of was either gluten free or dairy free.

However, this easy and simple Crock-Pot Barbecue Chicken came to mind and was the winning ticket.  It's easy to make, I have all of the ingredients on hand, I could use frozen chicken breasts, the barbecue sauce is homemade and amazing, and it fit the dietary restrictions perfectly.  

Instead of serving this barbecue chicken on buns for pulled chicken sandwiches like I've done in the past I served it over rice like gma used to do, and now we have a delicious and easy to make gluten-free and dairy free meal when served with fresh fruit and roasted vegetables. 

For dessert, I opted for the Thai Coconut Mango Rice b/c I didn't need to buy any fancy ingredients, and I could use the fresh blueberries I had on hand.  Win-win all around.

At first I was a bit nervous trying to think of a delicious meal that was gluten and dairy free b/c I thought I'd have to buy some fancy ingredients or my kids wouldn't enjoy it.  However, this BBQ Chicken is so easy, healthy, made in a crock-pot, and perfect for those oh so busy days.  

Super simple and easy crock-pot Barbecue Chicken. Serve over rice or on a bun for a bbq sandwich.  Both delicious!  You can even use frozen chicken with them gluten free dairy free meal. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Crock-Pot Barbecue Chicken
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from my sister Manda and our Gma
Active Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 4-6 hours
Servings: 6-8

Ingredients: 
2 lbs chicken, about 4 chicken breasts 
1/3 c. onion, diced (I used my frozen ones)
3/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. distilled white vinegar
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp prepared mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Directions: 
  1. In a crock-pot place your chicken, breasts or tenderloins, on the bottom.  Your chicken can be frozen or fresh.  If you want to use less chicken for fewer people that is fine, but still make the same amount of sauce.  You'll want it! 
  2. In a small bowl mix with a fork or spoon the rest of the ingredients to make the barbecue sauce. 
  3. Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken. 
  4. Cook the chicken and barbecue sauce on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. 
  5. Using two forks shred the chicken and stir/mix it into the sauce.
  6. Serve chicken over rice or on a hamburger bun as a pulled chicken sandwich. 
  7. Enjoy! 
  8. Store leftovers in the fridge. 

Happy healthy, simple, and oh so easy Crock-Pot Barbecue Chicken eating!  

      

No comments:

Post a Comment