Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Real Authentic Hummus w/ a Secret Trick

Real Authentic Hummus just like it is found in the Middle East.  Delicious, gluten free, vegetarian, healthy, and easy to make.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I studied abroad in Jerusalem in college.  It was a fabulous 5 months where I learned many many things and fell in love with even more things.  

I fell in love with the harsh landscape of the Judean Wilderness.  I fell in love with the waters, flowers, and waterfalls in Galilee. I fell in love with ALL of the people, and appreciated their hospitality and kindness. I fell in love with the kids that played soccer with a flat ball on a dirt hill and loved that I played with them.  I fell in love with Islam and Judaism and people that believed wholeheartedly in it.  I fell in love with the Western Wailing Wall and the Dome of the Rock.  I fell in love with Nutella and this little crepe shop with the best dessert crepes.  I fell in love with falafels and hummus.  

I truly fell in love!  

I have tried making falafel balls several times, but have yet had the success I need/want to share it with y'all.  Holler if you have an amazing recipe!

After coming back to the US I searched for the best hummus as well.  I couldn't quite find a recipe that gave me the authentic taste I was looking for, so I eventually settled on hummus I found in the stores.  Which is okay, but they just didn't have the Middle Eastern Hummus taste that I love.

Finally, a friend in Denver, Amanda, is a hummus lover as well and has an uncle that lives in Israel.  This awesome uncle shared with Amanda the trick to delicious homemade hummus.  Amanda shared it with me, and I am now sharing it with you.  It involves a can of beans and the stove.  

This Real Deal Authentic Hummus is easy to make and tastes authentic.  You can feel free to add red-peppers or garlic (roasted is my favorite) or just eat it plain.  I like it every single way.  It's delicious!
Real Authentic Hummus just like it is found in the Middle East.  Delicious, gluten free, vegetarian, healthy, and easy to make.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Authentic Hummus
Recipe: Alohamora and Amanda's Uncle
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: none
Servings: About 1 cup of Hummus

Ingredients: 
1 can (15oz) Garbanzo Beans/Chick Peas
1/4 c. tahini
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 c. boiling bean liquid
salt and pepper to taste

Directions: 
  1. In a small pot over medium to low heat heat the beans and liquid until they begin to boil.
  2. Remove the beans, but keep the liquid on a gentle boil/simmer. The warm beans and the bean liquid is the secret trick and the key to authentic tasting hummus.
  3. Place beans in a food processor.  I have this small one and it works great, but I bet a blender would work fine as well.
  4. Add tahini, lemon juice, spices and the boiling bean liquid.
  5. Start mixing/chopping it until smooth and to your desired consistency.  
  6. Add more lemon juice and bean liquid as needed.
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste.   
  8. Serve this hummus dip with veggies of your choice, or crackers.  This also tastes fabulous in a pita with sprouts, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. 
  9. Enjoy!
  10. Serve warm after freshly making it or cold from the fridge. 
  11. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.  
Happy healthy, vegetarian, Real Authentic Hummus eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment