Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Other Books to Read for Jodi Picoult Fans

7 Great Books to read if you like Jodi Picoult books.  Emotional, complex, all about perspective, morally tough, family, and so much more. Great and fabulous books that will have you hanging on every word and reading until the wee hours. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

A friend that I have had since college, we played soccer together and still play soccer together when one of us isn't prego, invited my family over for dinner and to swim.  

This friend has a coveted pool in her backyard.  Oh how jealous I am.  Sure there is maintenance, but the convenience to having a pool especially when your neighborhood doesn't have one is pretty tempting and outweighs all of the hassle.  At least in my mind.. 

We talked about lots of things that evening, but of course books came up.  I had asked her kids what they were reading (her daughter was reading Harry Potter... yay!), and then my friend asked me the question I always get and never seem content with my answer.  

My friend asked me, "Where do you find time to read?"  Sure, I have a two and three year old.  I can't exactly let them fend for themselves all day while I read a book.  I also love to bake, cook, workout, blog, and attempt to sew and do DIY things around the home.  I read most nights, but I also read at the breakfast and/or lunch table.  This has caused my kids to want to read books at the table. Kind of cute. :) 

I read in the evening when there's nothing I want to watch on TV, but I still want to be sitting next to my husband on the couch.  I read in little snippets here and there.  That's how I roll, but it's kind of hard to explain when someone asks what one might think is a simple question. 

Just after our fun I came across this quote in a newspaper.  I will forever remember this quote, b/c it fits my reading style perfectly. 

Readers understand this quote, and are always looking for a great book.  Here are 7 Great Books to read if you like Jodi Picoult books.  Emotional, complex, all about perspective, morally tough, family, and so much more. Great and fabulous books that will have you hanging on every word and reading until the wee hours. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

This friend is a reader.  Her son told me that she will leave the theater of a movie she took her kids to so she could read.  She obviously squeezes reading in, but she does it differently.  We all do. 

This same friend then went on to ask for some book suggestions.  This is dangerous territory for me.  I get awfully excited and can spout out far more than the receiver would like to hear or can remember.  I'm trying to get better, but it is like my portion control issue.  I just can't help myself.  

I know I threw several books out there, but I figured a book list would be helpful for my friend and for all of you.  

My friend is a Jodi Picoult fan.  If you have read Nineteen Minutes or My Sister's Keeper or any other Picoult books and loved them then give these 7 books a read.  


7 Great Books for Jodi Picoult Fans


A fabulous and captivating young adult (YA) book about a tough subject, but a good subject to be talked about.   Anderson, just like Picoult, writes about tough topics. 
For my thoughts/review click here

I recently read this book (and will be reviewing it soon) and feel it fits perfectly in this list.  Anderson writes about a tough family situation that deals with hard things (PTSD from the war).

You will like this deep book with moral complexity, but I will say don't read it if you are pregnant of planning to get pregnant.  

An historical fiction, but it has the family situation, cultural situation, and the complex characters that will make you understand why I included it. Great adult fiction!
For my thoughts/review click here.

A collection of short stories all dealing with different families their situations and perspective. 

Single mothers aren't the only ones with it tough.  This is about a man that decides to do what is tough, and morally complex, to be a good father

Picoult often writes about books where you can clearly see both perspectives; This book does the same thing.  Seriously moral complexity in this read.
For my thoughts/review click here


Happy complex and captivating reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment