I whipped up/created this Chipotle Mac & Cheese last week, and my family absolutely loved the smoky and slight spiciness of this classic dish so much that I had to make it the next night.
My toddlers each had three servings, which is completely ridiculous and a ton of food for them, and my husband could not stop raving about this dish. He loved the smoky chipotle flavor, and my kids couldn't stop eating long enough to tell me what they thought. Their actions spoke plenty loud.
My husband claims this to be the best mac and cheese ever, and he's quite sure I could win any cooking competition that involves cheese with this bad boy.
Personally, I loved the little kick and the smokiness of the chipotle in this mac & cheese. It is good! No, it is amazing!
Even though there is some spice to this recipe the spiciness below was just the right amount for my toddlers, and trust me, they let me know when I make something too spicy... it happens often.
However, feel free to kick the spiciness level up by adding more chipotle peppers and chipotle sauce to the recipe.
Many people are like my friend who is always looking for recipes to use when she opens a chipotle can b/c she never wants to waste any of that chipotle goodness. This is most definitely a recipe you need to add to the chipotle repertoire. It's delicious! I'm already craving it again.
The other day I found this cheese at the grocery store, and I thought it looked like I could have some fun with it. This chipotle white cheddar made an appearance in this mac and cheese, but if you don't have it you could just up the chipotle peppers and sauce amount to keep the smoky spicy flavor amazing.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 20 minutes
8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 chipotle pepper, diced
1/8 tsp chipotle sauce
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 c. chipotle white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Toss in 8 oz (1/2 box) of elbow macaroni until it is al dente (usually about 7 minutes).
- Drain the macaroni, rinse some cold water on it, and toss the cooked macaroni into a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large saucepan over low to medium heat toss in your butter and begin to melt it. While it is melting toss in the diced onion (I used this time saver trick and loved it), minced garlic, chipotle peppers, and sauce and stir it frequently.
- Once butter is melted stir flour into the mixture until smooth (take less than a minute).
- Quickly stir in the dry mustard, salt, and pepper until evenly mixed in to the thick paste like mixture. You can remove the pan from the stove while you measure out the spices.
- Add the milk and stir the mixture constantly over the low to medium heat until it thickens.
- Finally, add the cheeses and continue to stir and cook it until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the macaroni,which is already in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Stir to evenly combine the macaroni and cheese and top it with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 325 uncovered for 20 minutes.