Carrot cake is right up there with oatmeal cookies in my book. They just sound healthier, and thereby make me want to eat more and more of them. Which b/c they are "healthy" is no big deal.
Carrot cake is also pretty much synonymous with Easter b/c of the whole carrots and bunnies thing. Therefore, I'm passing along this delicious recipe today so you can make these this weekend.
I love carrot cake, but I love carrot cake cupcakes even more b/c I can more easily share them with others. It's a little easier on the waistline. Plus, cupcakes are just fun to eat; somehow you feel more kid-like.
These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are from scratch, but they are ridiculously easy. They have the amazing carrot cake flavor, and they are surprisingly (b/c most carrot cakes aren't) light and fluffy with the absolute perfect texture.
This recipe comes from Bernie. I knew him and his family well when I lived in North Carolina. If you know southern cooking, you know that a carrot cake from a pure, you can't get more Southern than Bernie, Southern is pretty much going to be AMAZING! This carrot cake recip is just like his cheese grits... out of this world.
These cupcakes (or cake b/c I left instructions for that as well if you want to go that route) are amazing, and would taste awfully delicious right about now, Easter Sunday, and pretty much anytime... b/c they have carrots and are therefore healthy. Therefore, everyone loves them; your Easter crowd (however big or small) will love them as well.
To be honest, my husband even eats these cupcakes without the cream cheese frosting b/c they are that good. So, if you aren't a frosting individual, or trying to save a few calories just eat them plain. They are delicious either way!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from Bernie I.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 1.5 hours (including frosting)Servings: 2 dozen cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 c. sugar
2 c. shredded carrots
4 eggs, large
1 c. oil (you can use applesauce)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 Tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place 24 cupcake liners in your cupcake pan.
- Place all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer and stir it to mix well.
- Measure out two cups of shredded carrots. The carrots should either come straight from a bag, or if you grate them yourself make sure they aren't freshly grated. Let them air out a bit so your cupcakes don't sink.
- Add your carrots, eggs, and oil to the bowl and mix on low speed until well blended.
- Evenly distribute your batter between the 24 cupcakes. It ends up being between 2 and 2 1/2 tablespoons of batter. I used a large cookie scoop and didn't fill it completely.
- Bake cupcakes at 325 for 18-20 minutes. When done test that a toothpick comes out clean.
- If you want to make a cake grease two 9 inch round cake pans and line them with wax paper on the bottom. Bake at 325 for 30- 40 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in a pan or on a rack before frosting.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl combine all of the frosting ingredients and beat on low until it is is smooth and creamy. You don't want to over beat the frosting, so keep an eye on it. It takes about 3 minutes.
- Frost your cupcakes, and then enjoy!