Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes w/ Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Filling

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry chocolate Ganache Filling.. Easy, delicious, and uses a cake mix.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

My friend works with Arizona Foster Families.  They are having an event, including a bake sale, to help raise money for awesome kids in foster homes to attend a AZ Diamondback game and probably some other stuff.  I really don't know all the details.  All I know is my friend, who knows I have a baking problem, asked me to bake something.  I was more than happy to comply b/c I love baking for other people b/c I don't have to worry about eating all of it.  

For awhile I've had the idea of a Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcake.  Initially I was thinking to do just a strawberry filling, but then I saw the opportunity for a Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Filling and I knew that was the winner.  

These cupcakes may take a few steps, but they aren't as difficult to make as you may think.  I used a cake mix, which is easy peasy.  I'm not against from scratch cakes (I do them a lot), but sometimes the cake mix is the way to go.

I simplified the frosting and even used unsweetened almond milk instead of dairy milk which provided a great flavor boost to the frosting.  I also love the real strawberry chunks in the ganache filling.

The combination of chocolate frosting, strawberry cupcake, and strawberry chocolate ganache filling has the perfect amount of sweetness.  The entire cupcake is moist and fluffy and worth the effort to make these bad boys.    

Seriously, these cupcakes are tasty!  If you can't go to the Foster Families Bake Sale you should at least make these for a fun event of your own.

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry chocolate Ganache Filling.. Easy, delicious, and uses a cake mix.  Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes 
with Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Filling
Recipe: Alohamora.
Filling slightly adapted from Pineapple and Coconut
Frosting slightly adapted from Lauren's Latest
Active Time: 1 hour
Inactive Time: 3-4 hours
Servings: 18-24 Cupcakes

Ingredients: 

Cake: 
1 Strawberry Cake Mix
Oil, water, and eggs or whatever the box calls for.  

Filling: 
4 oz dark/bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/3 c. (3-4 medium to large) strawberries finely diced
1/4 c. strawberry preserves

Frosting: 
1 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
5 c. powdered sugar
4 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or dairy milk)

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 325 and line cupcake pan with liners.  
  2. Make the cupcakes according to the directions on the box.  
  3. I used a large scoop, but a large spoon works as well, to fill the cupcake liners.
  4. Bake cupcakes at 325 for 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  I was right about 15 minutes. 
  5. Let cupcakes cool completely.  I usually make the cupcakes in the morning and then let them cool while we are out and about.  During nap time I conquer the rest of the cupcake.  
  6. To make the filling place the whipping cream in a microwave safe cup/bowl and heat until bubbles form on the outside.  It doesn't need to boil.  I put mine in the microwave for just over a minute at 80% power.  
  7. In a large bowl or glass Pyrex measuring cup put in your broken or chopped up chocolate.  I used a Bittersweet Ghirardelli bar and just broke it up.  I would suggest using a semi-sweet, dark chocolate, or bittersweet chocolate; the bittersweet chocolate really balances out the sweetness in the frosting.  
  8. Pour the warm cream over the chocolate and stir for 3-5 minutes until smooth.  
  9. Add your strawberries to the chocolate and stir to combine. 
  10. Finally, add the strawberry preserves and stir to combine.  You can add more if you want the ganache to be sweeter, just don't add too much or you could foof up the consistency. 
  11. Place your filling in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.  If you want to speed this up you can stick it in the freezer.  Eventually you want your filling to be a thicker consistency that can be spooned.   
  12. While your filling is chilling take a grapefruit spoon, I talk about it's awesomeness here, or whatever you desire to create a small hole in the middle of each of your cooled cupcakes. 
  13. I also like to make the frosting at this point as well. 
  14. When your ganache is thicker and can be spooned go ahead and fill your cupcakes.
  15. For the frosting, in a stand mixer or hand mixer on low whip the butter and the cocoa powder until smooth.  
  16. While the mixer is still going add the vanilla.
  17. Next, add the powder sugar and mix.  While the mixer is still going add the milk about a tablespoon at a time until it reaches a thickness and consistency you desire.  If you are piping the frosting you won't want it too thin or it won't hold it's shape.  I used exactly 4 tablespoons, but you may use a little less.   
  18. Finally, enjoy the chocolate fruits of your labor.  It doesn't have to be Valentine's Day to enjoy chocolate covered strawberries.    

No comments:

Post a Comment