I was deciding between a flourless chocolate cake or Muddy Buddies, but then I was reminded of the deliciousness of Muddy Buddies and how everyone, young or old or chocolate fans or not, love Muddy Buddies. Muddy Buddies was the obvious winner, but flourless chocolate cake will probably go down this weekend.
Some people call Muddy Buddies, and some call it Puppy Chow. Basically it's chocolate and peanut butter covered Rice Chex with a healthy covering of powdered sugar. Whether it's Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow it apparently depends what part of the country you live in; is that true? What is this mix called where you live?
I was a Muddy Buddies virgin until 5 years ago. How I went 28 years of my life without knowing the deliciousness of this mix I don't know. It makes me sad. I guess I need to make up for all those years with lots of Muddy Buddy making. It's a good thing it's super easy to make.
If you are one of the few, like me for far too long, that have never had this addicting chocolate peanut butter Chex mix you need to gather the ingredients and make it now. You probably have almost all of it.
This Chex mix is quick and easy, it takes maybe 10 minutes to make, makes a ton, and enjoyable as a snack anytime of day. Trust me, I know. I was thorough and tested it in the morning, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner, and late at night. It's good no matter when.
Now, if you are like me and you don't trust yourself to not eat the entire mix in one sitting, then feel free to give plenty of it away. It'll make someone's day, and you'll still have plenty left over to enjoy.
What's better than a fast, easy, and crowd-winning treat? Not much. Hence the reason for the awesomeness of Muddy Buddies aka Puppy Chow aka whatever other term you know it as.
Muddy Buddies (aka Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Mix)
Alohamora: Open a Book recipe from Chex.com
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 0 minutes
Servings: 10-15 servings
9 c. Rice Chex cereal (almost entire box, but don't be tempted to throw it all in b/c then there will be less chocolate peanut butter goodness)
1 c. milk chocolate chips (semisweet or bittersweet works too if you prefer that)
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- Place Rice Chex in a large bowl. Large bowls with measurements on the side are awesome for Chex Mix.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl (I prefer my large 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup) place chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Microwave chocolate peanut butter mixture for 1 minute at 50% power. Stir every 20 seconds until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. You may need to microwave 20 seconds longer if it's not smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal in the large bowl and mix it gently until all the cereal is coated. I found a large rubber spatula was best for stirring everything together.
- Pour the chocolate coated cereal into a large gallon size bag that seals completely and add the powdered sugar on top. Seal the bag and shake the mixture until the cereal is coated completely with powdered sugar.
- Taste the cereal to make sure it reaches your standards :) and then pour it onto a wax, parchment, silpat lined pan to cool.
- When you are not eating the snack mix store it in a sealed container in the fridge.