Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fast and Easy Vegetarian Fajitas


Dang Good Vegetarian Fajitas that is fast, easy, and you make it ahead.  Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/
I LOVE this Fajita recipe!  The flavor is absolutely amazing, you make it ahead to marinade, and then you cook it up really fast.  It's pretty much awesome!

When I was in college at BYU I had a good friend and former roommate make this for me.  She had chicken and steak fajitas for us, and I was pretty much in heaven with the flavor.  Plus, I feel you get a good amount of veggies in fajitas; therefore, making it relatively healthy.

After dinner with my friend I asked for the recipe.  At the top of my recipe card from way back then I titled this recipe Dang Good Fajitas.

They are dang good, and dang easy, and dang delicious!

My husband loves this recipe, however bell peppers do him damage.  Therefore, I make this recipe each and every time he has to work late.  I personally think he works late plenty, but I never feel like I get to have this recipe nearly enough.

Personally, I've been all about making this meal a meatless night b/c I like to limit my meat and my husband loves meat.  He's probably like many men that think it isn't a meal without some meat.  So, when he works late and I have to put the kiddos to bed by myself I make a point to treat myself with these vegetarian fajitas.  It has everything I love, and my husband doesn't feel bad or get sad for missing dinner.

I love bell peppers. I love all colors and appreciate the different flavors and colors they bring to a meal.  With that said, I need to be more specific on my grocery list my husband takes to the store.  I'm grateful he'll run to the store for me, but I so wish he had bought an orange and green bell pepper in there.  They would've made the top picture look so much better.  However, a nice camera might do that as well. :) Oh well, I'll survive with my iPhone camera and all red bell peppers.

Now, the lesson here for you is to get different colored bell peppers for a prettier meal.  However, if your husband gets all red bell peppers b/c that is what he likes best then the fajitas will still taste amazing.  I guarantee it!
Dang Good Vegetarian Fajitas that is fast, easy, and you make it ahead.  Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I usually cut all of my vegetables and get it all set to marinate during nap time.  However, I've prepared it all the night before as well.  It won't kill you to not marinate these veggies, but I do suggest at least 3 hours of marinating time to get ideal tastiness.  

Once your veggies are cut (you can throw meat into the marinade if you prefer meat with your fajitas, just dice them up) you really only need about 20 minutes to cook your meal on the stove.  

Pull out three pans.  In the largest pan over medium heat dump in your marinated veggies.  The medium size pan is for your beans, and the smallest pan will be to warm up your corn tortillas.  I prefer corn-tortillas b/c they are healthier, taste better, and bonus that they are gluten-free.  However, small flour tortillas will work just as good. 
Dang Good Vegetarian Fajitas that is fast, easy, and you make it ahead.  Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

These fajitas are perfect for your taste buds as well as your waist line.  Don't be surprised if you hear a "Dang Good" from yourself or your family. 

Dang Good Vegetarian Fajitas that is fast, easy, and you make it ahead.  Alohamora http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

Dang Good Veggie Fajitas
Recipe adapted by Alohamora: Open a book  Originally from my friend Sarah 
Serves: 4-6 (though add more veggies to serve more)
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 3 hours. 

Ingredients: 

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 clove garlic minced
1 1/2 tsp onion salt
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin (less if you don't like too amp the spiciness down)
1/2 tsp chili powder (less for less spice)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 medium onion sliced thin (about 1/2-1 cup)
2 tomatoes chopped (1/2- 1 cup)
4 bell peppers sliced
1/4 c. green onions diced
(1 lb of meat if you like meat- otherwise go the bean route below)
1 can refried beans (vegetarian beans if you are a purist)
2 tsp taco seasoning

Directions: 
  1. First mix the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and spices in a medium to large bowl.  I like to use a fork to really mix them in good. 
  2. Add the onion, tomatoes, and bell peppers to your spices marinade and stir it all together to thoroughly coat them all. 
  3. Cover your veggies and let marinade for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
  4. In a large pan over medium heat pour your entire marinade contents into the pan.  Bring the contents to a simmer and continue to stir and cook for approximately 10 minutes until the peppers are soft and it smells delicious.    
  5. In a medium pan over low to medium heat spray with Pam or a touch of olive oil.  Put the refried beans in the pan to heat up a bit.  After you've stirred them for at least 3 minutes add your taco seasoning and stir it in completely.  Continue to stir and heat the beans for approximately 5-7 minutes. 
  6. Just before you are ready to serve dinner take 5 minutes to heat up your corn tortillas (you can use flour and just heat them in the microwave) over medium heat.  I like to spray the pan with Pam or olive oil and be sure you flip the tortillas after a minute or so so you don't end up with crispy tostada like tortillas.
  7. On a plate lay a warmed tortilla flat.  Down the middle lay a line of the beans mixture topped by the veggies mixture.  Top it all with cheese, sour cream, and/or guacamole.
  8. Enjoy!
As always, holler if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.  Otherwise, you probably have most of these items on hand and can serve it for dinner tonight. Mmmmm... I love me some Dang Good Fajitas.

2 comments:

  1. I've decided I making these for my birthday dinner and since it's for MY birthday no one can complain about the lack of meat. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy early Birthday, and I think that is perfect reasoning that I will be using on my birthday! Enjoy the deliciousness! I'm already craving them again!

      Delete