Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Oldies but Goodies

I just finished an "oldie but a goodie," and I absolutely loved it! An "oldie but a goodie" can be two different kinds of books. It can be a book that is an old classic that is so very good like Pride and Prejudice. It can also be a book that you have read before, maybe several times, and you're re-reading it for kicks and giggles. My little sister reads Harry Potter, the entire series, over and over again. I am not sure if even she knows how many times she has read the series. She loves reading them. I just finished Persuasion by Jane Austen and it is a book that fits in both categories of an "oldie but a goodie."
I have read Persuasion before, and I loved it this time just as much as the last time. There is something about re-reading a book you love. You know you love the book, but you might have forgotten some of the details. It is when you come across these fabulous forgotten details that you fall in love again with the book. This is exactly how I felt with Persuasion. I knew I loved the book, and I loved how it ended but I couldn't remember exactly how the characters got to that fabulous ending.
As I read the book this time I came to realize that I love Anne, and there are character traits she has which I would love to have in my own life. She is kind to everyone, cautious, and she still gets the really good quality guy. Though you wonder if she will end up with him. I absolutely love when a story has the happy ending and you are not sure how it is going to get there. You might even doubt if a happy ending is at all possible.
There are similarities with Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice. All in all, I think you can say that with all of Jane Austen books. Austen definitely has her own "voice" and writing style. If you haven't read Persuasion or even if it's been awhile then you should pick it up. You can get it for free on a Kindle or any eReader. It's shorter than P&P but it still has that fabulous Austen story line.

No comments:

Post a Comment