Friday, June 3, 2011

The First of Many

I have finally finished the first of many books that will be read this summer. Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card was a pretty good sci-fi read. Now, I am not a Sci-Fi junkie. I usually gravitate toward realistic fiction. However, I like to push others out of their comfort zone/comfort reading genre, and I think I should push myself out of my comfort genre. If you like Sci-Fi you will definitely like this book. However, if you struggle with Sci-Fi, I suggest first reading Ender's Game by Card. It is not as Sci-Fi-ish.
At first I was intrigued with the story, but it was a bit slow to get going. The first 100 pages are interesting, but there is a lot of details and you wonder when the story is going to start taking off. However, if you endure (or if you are a Sci-Fi junkie you are probably loving the extra details) the details you will be rewarded with some action that surprises you and becomes quite enjoyable.
You will find action and adventure and even time travel in this story. However, it is not your typical time travel book. The end of the book reminded me of Ender's Game b/c of the twist and information all revealed at the end of the book. All in all, the story is good but it isn't his best. I still prefer Ender's Game, but that very well could be b/c I am not a Sci-Fi junkie.
Now on to my next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment