Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Black Book gets 5 Stars (mystery, adult fiction}

The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis get 5 out of 5 stars in my book review.  Great mystery with twists and turns until the end.  This fast paced novel will have you wanting to read through the night.  Page Turner, Best Patterson book, Mystery, adult literature. Alohamora Open a Book Alohamoraopenabook www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com

I strive to always be honest with y'all.  I always tell you the good and bad of books.  To be honest, I have never been a huge James Patterson fan.  I felt he sold out to the publishing world and only wanted to publish as many books as he could as quickly as he could.  He wrote in so many genres and age/reading levels (kids, young adults, adult) that I knew he was just sticking his name on a book so it would sell but others were more than likely writing the story.  

My opinion may completely be false, but that is what I thought.  However, if a student loved his Maximum Ride series I wasn't going to not have it in my library.  I just had my personal tastes of Patterson, but there is always value if someone wants to read it.  

However, a couple weeks ago a co-worker recently finished The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis.  She was a big fan of the book and said it's the best book of Patterson's that she's ever read.  Being a reader that just likes to find a great book, I disregarded my own opinions, checked The Black Book out, and flew through it.  This book is a page turner.

The Black Book earns 5 out of 5 Stars from me.  It's a fast read with many twists and turns that will keep you guessing to the end.  I found myself changing my prediction of "who did it" more times than I could count, and yet I was still surprised at the end.  

Overall, if you love mysteries check this book out.  If you are looking for a page turner, check this book out.  If you are looking for a great story, then check this book out.  As fair warning though, murder and prostitution is involved, sex is talked about, violence, and there is language throughout.  I personally wasn't offended by the book's contents b/c the language and subjects were part of the story, but I want to always give you fair warning of a books content.  

Question: Are you a Patterson fan? 

Just so you have an idea of the story line, the following is the book description from Goodreads

"Being a cop runs in Billy Harney's family. The son of Chicago's Chief of Detectives whose twin sister, Patty, also followed in their father's footsteps, there's nothing Billy won't give up for the job, including his life.

Left for dead alongside his tempestuous former partner and a hard-charging assistant district attorney out for blood, Billy miraculously survives. But he remembers nothing about the events leading up to the shootout.

Charged with double murder and desperate to clear his name, Billy retraces his steps to get to the bottom of what happened. When he discovers the existence of a little black book that everyone who's anyone in Chicago will stop at nothing to get their hands on, Billy suspects it contains the truth that will either set him free... or confirm his worst fears.
 "

Happy Twist and Turn Mystery Reading!

The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis
Rating: 5/5 stars
Best For: 18 yrs and up, Adult lit
Worth a Check Out: Yes.
Buy It or Not: If you love mysteries and/or Patterson
Read Aloud: Such a fast read with a story that keeps you guessing until the very end.  
Lesson Ideas: Family, Ethics

No comments:

Post a Comment