Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Thumbelina gets 4 Stars {picture book}

Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen and illustrated by Elsa Beskow gets 4 out of 5 stars in my book review of this classic fairytale.  Beautiful pictures from this Swedish illustrator. Alohamora Open a Book www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com

Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen is a classic fairy tale, and the illustrations by Elsa Beskow make it even more of a classic.  Many people know a little about Hans Christian Andersen, but few people know that Elsa Beskow is a talented illustrator and author from Sweden who died in 1953.  She wrote and illustrated more than 40 books. 

Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen and illustrated by Elsa Beskow gets 4 out of 5 stars in my book review of this classic fairytale.  Beautiful pictures from this Swedish illustrator. Alohamora Open a Book www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com picture book, 4th-7th grade

Personally, I was excited to get my hands on this classic story with such beautiful pictures.  I really think Beskow's artwork is simple and beautiful; I'd like to say she used watercolor, but to be honest I have no idea.  I don't claim to have any artistic talent or knowledge.  

I gave Thumbelina 4 out of 5 stars.  The rating is more for the pictures; pictures and text combine to make a great picture book.  

I felt the subtle and simple pictures by Beskow fit the theme and writing style of the original fairytale.  However, I will say the first picture with the witch seemed a bit confusing and out of place.  I believe I understand why Beskow choose to include a dark black and white picture with the witch to help set the mood of the characters, but I don't think that first picture added anything to the story.  Instead, I think it took more away from the story than added to it.  
  
The publishers stated that this story is best geared towards 4 through 7 years old.  However, I think 6 through 10 years old would be a better age range from this longer picture book.


Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen and illustrated by Elsa Beskow gets 4 out of 5 stars in my book review of this classic fairytale.  Beautiful pictures from this Swedish illustrator. Alohamora Open a Book www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com picture book, 4th-3rd grade

However, I wouldn't let that first picture push you away from reading this classic version and enjoying such beautiful pictures.  If you've been looking for a great version of Thumbelina, this one is my favorite.  

Goodreads has the following book description in case you have never come across this fairytale. 

"Elsa Beskow's charming illustrations bring to life this classic Hans Christian Andersen tale of a thumb-sized girl who has big adventures. Thumbelina is so small she sleeps in a walnut shell bed with a rose petal sheet. One day, a toad steals her away from her home and keeps her captive on a lilypad, until some fish set her free to go on adventures in the countryside. Will Thumbelina ever find a new home with people just like her? Available for in English for the first time in thirty years, this beautiful book will be a wonderful addition to the shelves of Elsa Beskow fans everywhere." 

Do you have a favorite version of Thumbelina? Please share. I'd love to check it out. 


Happy Classic Fairytale Reading


I received this book from Myrick Marketing in exchange for my review and honest opinion.  All of my thoughts, opinions, and words are my own.

1 comment: