Monday, February 20, 2017

March Book Three gets 5 Stars {non-fiction, graphic novel, printz award}


March Book Three  by John Lewis is an award winning graphic novel series about the civil rights movement. Includes Martin Luther King Jr., Malcom X and the Freedom Bridge March.  Powerful book. Printz, Coretta Scott King award.  Great book and series.  YA Literature, Teens, adults, all should read this book. Alohamora Open a Book www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.comThis book has it all.  One President of the United States dies, another gives powerful speeches and help make big changes in the country.  With it being Black History Month as well as President's Day I felt this book was an absolute must to share with you today!   

Police arrests, murders, determination, perseverance, equal rights, voting, the Freedom March, and so many more shocking events occurred during the civil rights movement.  I absolutely loved March Book Three, and I completely understand why it won the Printz Award, Coretta Scott King Award, and 4 other major awards.

March Book Three by John Lewis is well deserving of these awards, and honestly one of the best books I've read.  This book, is the third and final book in the March series telling the complete civil rights movement from John Lewis' experience.  

I give March Book Three 5 out of 5 Stars.  The pictures are fantastic, the story line is great, the pace is quick, the words are powerful, and the events are inspiring.  I learned so much while reading not only this book, but the entire series.  It is a must read for sure, and I am so glad I have it in my personal library.

At the very beginning it took me a second to remember what SNCC stood for b/c book three didn't overlap with the second book.  There is so much I really liked about this book.  I loved that the writing had the perfect balance of facts to teach and dialogue to keep the story going.  

I really enjoyed John Lewis' view on JFK's death and the fear he had with Johnson becoming the President.  I think his feelings are relatable to how many feel any time a new President begins his presidency. I was shocked of the events as well as the aftermath from the Freedom Summer, and I was inspired by Fannie Lou Hamer's speech as well as President Johnson's speech.  I was in awe of the fight, dedication, and perseverance Lewis and many other's had to complete their march from Selma to Montgomery.  I was shocked the FBI was wiretapping the Freedom Democratic Party and MLK.   To be honest, I learned so much reading this book and series.  

I absolutely think every one high school aged and up should read this book and series.  It is powerful and inspiring.  I loved that Lewis connected the first and last book with the reason for writing these books.  Lewis is brilliant, funny, and I'm so glad he wrote this book.     

March Book Three  by John Lewis is an award winning graphic novel series about the civil rights movement. Includes Martin Luther King Jr., Malcom X and the Freedom Bridge March.  Powerful book. Printz, Coretta Scott King award.  Great book and series.  YA Literature, Teens, adults, all should read this book. Alohamora Open a Book www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com

In regards to the series as a whole, I would have to give the entire March series 5 stars.  It's all well done, connects so well to one another, very informative as well as entertaining. and all around great.  I personally love that Lewis wanted to make this a graphic novel.  I think it reaches a wider audience and the pictures provide the reader with a valuable and necessary connection to the story and the events.  

My reviews of March Book One and March Book Two can be found at the links provided.  You definitely need to read this non-fiction series in order, and you most definitely need to give this series a read.  It's fantastic!   

Amazon has the following book review from School Library Journal: 

"In the final installment in the trilogy, Congressman Lewis concludes his firsthand account of the civil rights era. Simultaneously epic and intimate, this dynamic work spotlights pivotal moments (the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, AL; the Freedom Summer murders; the 1964 Democratic National Convention; and the Selma to Montgomery marches) through the lens of one who was there from the beginning. Lewis's willingness to speak from the heart about moments of doubt and anguish imbues the book with emotional depth. Complex material is tackled but never oversimplified—many pages are positively crammed with text—and, as in previous volumes, discussion of tensions among the various factions of the movement adds nuance and should spark conversation among readers. Through images of steely-eyed police, motion lines, and the use of stark black backgrounds for particularly painful moments, Powell underscores Lewis's statement that he and his cohorts "were in the middle of a war." These vivid black-and-white visuals soar, conveying expressions of hope, scorn, and devastation and making storied figures such as Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, and Fannie Lou Hamer feel three-dimensional and familiar. VERDICT This essential addition to graphic novel shelves, history curricula, and memoir collections will resonate with teens and adults alike."

This series is superb, and though I wouldn't have anticipated it winning the Printz Award (the best book for young adults) this year, I am so glad it did.  It is well deserving.  

Have you read the March trilogy yet?  What did you think? 

Happy Powerful Inspiring and Such a Valuable Historical Graphic Novel Reading



I received this book from Myrick Marketing in exchange for my review and honest opinion.  All of my thoughts, opinions, and words are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment