Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Written and Drawn by Henrietta gets 4.5 Stars

Written and Drawn by Henrietta by Liniers this graphic novel toon comic like book is great for teaching and stressing the example of the writing process.  Good for 2nd and 3rd graders.  Book review.. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

"A box of colored pencils is as close as you get to owning a piece of the rainbow." (pg 7) That may have been one of my favorite first lines to start a juvenile/kids book, and Written and Drawn by Henrietta by Liniers is the winner of that accomplishment. 

That line is the beginning of a fun story about how fun creating and writing a story can be.  This graphic novel/comic would be a great resource for teachers especially for second and third graders.  This Toon Book is the third one I've reviewed, and it is my favorite one as of yet.  
   
Written and Drawn by Henrietta gets 4.5 Stars in my book review. I think the story is fun, and the concept of the girl writing the story is even better.  I love that the book shows the writing process, and that writing can be a lot of fun.  I love the creativity the main character, Henrietta shows in writing her cute story. However, that is probably the teacher side of me coming out. 


Written and Drawn by Henrietta by Liniers this graphic novel toon comic like book is great for teaching and stressing the example of the writing process.  Good for 2nd and 3rd graders.  Book review.. Alohamora Open a Book http://alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

The above picture shows the one qualm I have with this book.  I like that the story Henrietta writes uses drawn pictures so you can tell the difference.  However, I think Henrietta's illustrations are too rough and a little frightening looking.  The somewhat scary pictures almost pushed me away from the story, and I am not sure I would have picked this book up on my own b/c of them.  Written and Drawn by Henrietta is great, but if I were to do publish the book again I would've changed Henrietta's drawn pictures.

Amazon has the following book description: 

"Reading books is fun . . . but what about making them? Armed with new colored pencils, Henrietta's ready to try. Peek over her shoulder as she draws the story of a brave young girl, a three-headed monster, and an impossibly wide world of adventure. Whether read aloud to a toddler or discovered by a young reader, Liniers' celebration of the creative process is sure to make everyone want to bring out their pencils." 


If you have a reluctant reader, aka a 2nd or 3rd grader who doesn't enjoy reading or writing for that matter, then give Written and Drawn by Henrietta a check-out.  

Happy Graphic Novel/Comic/Toon Book reading


I received this book from Myrick Marketing in exchange for my review.  All words, thoughts, and opinions are my own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment