Wednesday, September 28, 2016

P.S. I Like You gets 4 Stars {YA Contemporary/Realistic Fiction}


PS I Like You by Kasie West gets 4 out of 5 Stars for this realistic/contemporary YA fiction.  Touch of romance in this fast, light, clean read for teens/young adults.  Characters fun and relatable.  Good book for middle school and high school girls.  Book review  Alohamora Open a Book www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com

Yesterday, I posted about OwlCrate's awesome August Subscription box.  This box was themed YA High and included the book P.S. I Like You by Kasie West, a young adult realistic/contemporary fiction. 

This fast read is a fun book that has everything a Meg Cabot or Sarah Dessen fan will enjoy. 

I give P.S. I Like You 4 out of 5 Stars. I enjoyed this quick clean read.  I enjoyed the clean romance, and the characters were fun and relatable.  I enjoyed that it was set in Arizona (where I'm at), and I enjoyed the character development of Lily.  I enjoyed how Lily's siblings and family life was full of love.  I love how Lily's siblings believed in her when she didn't, pushed her to reach new levels, and supported her in her endeavors and goals.  I loved how West portrayed Lily's home life.  It made me happy and was well done.  

I also loved the hilarious Arizona climate reference on page 194. "Arizona- the state that tried to kill its inhabitants every summer but made them forget about the attempt by being exceptionally kind every winter."  No statement was ever more true.  

What I didn't love, and the reason for the less than perfect rating, is how predictable the story was.  I knew from the very beginning who Lily was writing too, and I knew exactly how the story was going to end up.  I knew the exact moment the teacher, Mr. Ortega, was going to call them out on the letter writing.  The story was fun, but it was quite predictable.  However, a teenager is not going to notice or care about the predictability.  

I definitely enjoyed P.S. I Like You, and I would recommend it to high school girls, or even those as young as 7th grade, looking for a fun clean read.  Those that enjoy music may enjoy this read even more.  

Amazon had the following book review from School Library Journal.  It helps give you a better teaser of the story line.

"Cade and Lily have been enemies for years: he's rude about her clothes, hair, and whole vibe; she thinks he's a snotty, stuck-up rich kid. Plus, she has her eye on shaggy hipster Lucas, who looks like he could totally be on her wavelength. But when Lily scribbles some graffiti on top of the desk to combat her boredom in chemistry class, she's surprised to find a reply the next day and even more surprised when the answers continue. Soon, she's corresponding through hidden notes and bonding with her secret pen pal over a mutual interest in indie music. Who's her mysterious new friend? Little by little, Lily whittles down the number of possibilities to one that makes absolutely no sense. Although it gets off to a slow start as the author sets up the various subplots, there's much to like about this sweet love story. West allows the sworn enemies to reexamine themselves in a believable way; Lily considers that the person she becomes around her nemesis Cade is not her best self—and that the same could possibly be true for Cade. There's plenty of kissing at the end, but nothing that renders this work unsuitable for middle school readers. VERDICT Hand this one to fans of tween romance and Jennifer E. Smith's books."  


I love realistic/contemporary fictions; it is my favorite genre.  What is your favorite genre? 


Happy Fun Clean Teen/Tween Reading



No comments:

Post a Comment