In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban the Weasley's, Hermione, and Harry were staying at the Leaky Cauldron the night before taking the train to Hogwarts. They had a 5 course dinner and topped off the meal with sumptuous chocolate pudding.
My Leaky Cauldron's Milk Chocolate Pudding is smooth, decadent, and luxurious, and even though it is from scratch it really isn't hard to make. Now, I will say that the English Chocolate pudding is more like a steamed cake almost resembling a lava cake of sort. It's delicious, but it is over 110 degrees here in Arizona, and cold desserts are a thousand times more enticing. So, I opted for a luxurious milk chocolate pudding that is dairy based and therefore gluten free. You'll love this cold dessert, and come winter time I will share a proper English pudding.
This homemade milk chocolate pudding is incredibly smooth, rich, and decadent. Way better than boxed puddings... so make sure you give this one a go. So very yummy!
Luxurious Milk Chocolate Pudding
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook
Active Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: chill time, 3+ hours
Servings: about 4 cups
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 1/2 c. milk
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
Optional Toppings: whipped cream, chocolate shavings, sprinkles, melted peanut butter, etc.
- In a medium saucepan whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt together until combined.
- Add the milk (I used skim, but 1%, 2%, or whole would work just as well) and the heavy whipping cream to the pan and stir to combine it with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the mixture over medium to high. Stir it constantly until the cocoa powder is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the bittersweet chocolate chips to the mixture. Stir the chocolate until it is melted. You won't be able to see when they are melted so try and feel or scoop up any chocolate chips. When you can't you will know they are melted.
- Return the pudding mixture to the stove and cook it over medium heat. Stir the pudding constantly but gently until it thickens and begins to bubble (aka boil). When thickened and a good consistency remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the butter and the vanilla to the pudding. Stir the pudding gently until the butter is melted and everything is combined.
- Pour the pudding into a small mixing bowl, and place a piece of plastic/saran wrap on the surface of the pudding. I also placed a lid on the bowl, but that step isn't necessary. Place the pudding in the refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours or until it is set. This is a great dessert to make ahead.
- Enjoy this rich, smooth, and cold milk chocolate pudding plain or topped with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, sprinkles, melted peanut butter, or whatever other decadent toppings you desire. .
- Store leftover pudding in the fridge.
Happy Harry Potter Week and Happy Sumptuous Milk Chocolate Pudding eating!
Have you entered the Harry Potter Pop Funko Giveaway? Easy to enter and fun to win!