Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Born Wicked gets 4 Stars {Fantasy, Supernatural} {YA}

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood gets 4 stars in my book review.  This fantasy, magic, supernatural YA/Teen read is the 1st book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles.  Fun read, a little slow at first, but it picks up, Alohamora Open a Book YA lit, high school, sisters, girls, magic, witches, clean read

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood is the first book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles.  It's a YA/Young Adult/Teen Read, and it was definitely written for the junior high and/or high school girls who love the supernatural genre.  If you liked Twilight, Vampire Diaries, House of Night book series, or even the Young Elites then you will be a fan of this fantasy/supernatural book series. 

I give Born Wicked 4 out of 5 stars in my book review.  I feel Born Wicked is a great series for the YA supernatural genre for girls.  I liked the alternative historical setting to the Salem Witch Trials time period; I liked the idea of the "Brotherhood" similar to the Puritans controlling society with the "Sisterhood" which is full of witches no one knows about.  I liked Cate, Maura, and Tess; their sister relationship was fun to read.  I really liked Tess; she's awesome!  I liked the character development, and I loved that it was a clean read with no sex, language, or even violence.  I liked the strong female characters, and felt that Cate as a teenager trying to figure herself out and find her way was correctly portrayed.  I liked that the story wasn't predictable and kept a good pace once it got going.  All in all, I really thought Born Wicked was a fun light read perfect for the beach or a rainy day. 

Born Wicked lost a star for two reasons.  First, the beginning of the book was a bit slow to get moving; a lot of people I saw on Goodreads abandoned ship and DNF (did not finish).  The second reason this book lost a star is b/c of the blatant series push and the cliffhanger ending.  I think it is poor writing or a poor storyline decision for an author to have such a blatant cliff hanger ending just to get you to read the next book.  However, besides those two reasons I did thoroughly enjoy the book. 

I am not much of a supernatural genre (a branch of the fantasy genre) fan, but I enjoyed this read enough to want to read the 2nd and 3rd books in the series.  So, I guess that is saying something. 

Have you read Born Wicked; what did you think? 


Amazon had the following book review from Booklist so you can get a better idea of the storyline. 

"The prophecy written in Mother’s diary is clear: “A trio of sisters will come of age, all witches. One of the sisters, who will be gifted with mind-magic, will be the most powerful witch born in centuries.” Her daughters—Cate, Maura, and Tess—compose the trio, and Cate is the one who possesses mind-magic. But Mother is dead, Father is oblivious, and the Brotherhood is intent on stamping out all witches in New England in an effort to squelch female independence and initiative. How can Cate protect herself and her sisters from the Brotherhood’s terrifying scrutiny? Spotswood has melded historical fiction with the paranormal into an intriguing story of witchcraft, family responsibility, and unrequited love. A constant undercurrent of uneasiness permeates the novel; readers will find themselves tantalized by Cate’s two suitors and their marriage proposals, terrified by the Brotherhoods hatred and disgust of girls and women, and frustrated at the necessity to wait for the second book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles to learn what becomes of the sisters."

Happy Supernatural Feminist YA Book reading

Audiobook fans...

I was able to listen to part of this book on audiobook and felt the reader was great!  It didn't drag nearly as much on audiobook.  However, books 2 and 3 are not on audiobook as far as I can tell. 


No comments:

Post a Comment