Sure, it is a couple days after Christmas, but that doesn't mean you don't need a delicious cookie recipe.
I love the idea of Gingerbread Cookies, but I am not a fan of molasses. Actually, I hate molasses; I can't stand the taste of it. However, I love the idea of reading a book like the Gingerbread Cowboy or Gingerbread Baby and making gingerbread cookies and gingerbread houses.
These Molasses Free Gingerbread Cookies are delicious. They are a tasty cross between gingerbread cookies and graham crackers, and they are a perfectly festive holiday cookie. Plus, if you don't have the odd ingredient of molasses you can still enjoy gingerbread cookies.
Molasses Free Gingerbread Cookies
Recipe: Alohamora slightly adapted melaniecooks.com
Active Time: 40 minutes
Inactive Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 3 dozen cookies depending on size
1 1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. honey
1 egg, large
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 c. flour
3 tsp ginger, ground
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Topping: sugar or frosting
- In a large bowl or stand mixer mix the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the honey, egg, and vanilla one at a time until they are well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in the order listed. Add the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt until they are just combined.
- Transfer the cookie dough to a bowl or a container that seals or closes and place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. However, the dough can stay in the fridge for days or up to a week even.
- When you remove the dough from the fridge preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cookie sheets with baking mats or parchment paper.
- Take the dough in small groups (no more than half of the dough) and roll it out on a floured surface to anywhere between 1/4 and 1/8 inch thick.
- Use whatever cookie cutters you'd like to make your cookie shapes, and then use a spatula dipped in flour if you need to transfer the cookies to your pan.
- Bake your cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until a light golden brown. These cookies will work great for gingerbread houses as well, but you will want to cook them a little longer than for cookies so that you have the stability you need.
- As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven sprinkle them with white granulated sugar. If you are decorating the cookies with frosting wait until the cookies are cooled before frosting.
- Store cookies in a sealed airtight container.
Happy Gingerbread Cookies without Molasses eating!